• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Selective Weedkiller?

sih

Level 2
First name
SiH
Hi all,
As you guys seem to know all there is about farming,could any of you tell me the name of a selective weedkiller that`ll get rid of Ragwort,Thistles,Docs,Dandelions,etc and leave a clean Grass /clover only field? Or am I kidding myself?!
I`ve been pulling ragwort for years,and spot treating Thistles ,etc,but next year I want to bale the Hay and maybe sell it on ,so it needs to be clean doesnt it? And i dont really want to kill it all off and reseed it as theres a fair bit of good grass there.
Any advice would be good.
Thanks.

hi
were an organic (but not registerde) farm, but we did use grayzone weedkiller once to kill off the docks in our 30 acres. it worked well on the young ones but the old, well established ones came back after a while. i think it alos works on other weeds.
the best way to get rid of weedsd is tio dig them up and burn them, thism is what we do and we have pretty good pasture now.
admittidely it takes a while!
hope this helps

WB,I think you mean Grazon 90, it's a good product, but not suitable for heavy dock infestation.
SIH, As far as I am aware, there isn't a clover safe weedkiller that is cost effective for all the weeds you mention. If you are fortunate to get the timing exactly right, your docks can be controlled by an early dose of Doxstar applied in spring when the docks are seedlings and before the clover has emerged, although with the earlier springs we are getting this isn't so easy.
The new generation weedkiller, Forefront, which seems to work very well on nettles and the rest of your list, has , in UK at any rate been withdrawn because horse manure from sprayed hay crops has been found to kill horticultural crops.

Many thanks to you both.Info greatly recieved-apologies for not saying so sooner too!

Spraying the weeds will kill the clover as well unless you spot treat it.
I spot docks and nettles with Grazlon 90. I used Docstar for years but it wasnt working too well. I pull ragwort, as my pedigree stock are usually close by.
It takes a good few years to get everything under control but the nettles take some killing!!

May stay pulling ragwort as spray on them only works when they are coming up in February and not easy getting dry enough weather for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back