• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

3320 engine problem

mjmadden

Level 2
First name
hilux07
Problem: blue smoke, engine running bad. Letting diesel into engine oil. Injectors have been serviced, was faulty. Replaced and fitted, still running bad. 3000 hours on the clock. Still starts no problem. Any idea what to do? Thanks!

If you have diesel in the oil it will thin the oil and the blue smole will be worse.
What histry do you know?
Overheated?, High hours?, sudden problem or slowly getting worse? how long have you owned it?
all this info is helpful to diagnose problems.

If running bad, it could be injector pump timing, as worn or stuck rings will not actually make run bad as much as hard to start, so if it starts ok the problem may not be compression rings (check for blow-by out the breather) and stuck oil rings will make it smoke and drink oil, bit will not make it run bad otherwise.

Does your model have the old injector pump with own oil sump?
most likely this is full of water and the governor is sticky ..... that makes them run bad....... do a search on this site for details on how to fix this problem with diesel flush etc........ it worked wonders on 6745 (Thanks Renze)

Bought this tractorwith this problem but this tractor has been locally owned for 10 years and have been told that it has not overheated. Just started to run bad recently. Diesel has to be primed with the plunger to get it started. This has been a well cared for tractor.

This engine will only use oil from not being used enough (stuck piston rings) or being used 13.000hrs HARD instead of the 3000hrs you read on the clock. Especially because you already replaced the injectors, i expect it to have been round the clock already.

When you're sure on the 3000hrs, take the injectors out and pour DOT4 brake fluid on the pistons and let it soak for 2 weeks. Then turn it around on the starter so all excess brake fluid slings out (to prevent hydrolocking) while keeping a rag over the injector holes to catch it (you dont want it on the tinwork as brake fluid dissolves not just carbon, but also paint) Then put injectors back, start engine, let idle for 5 minutes and then change the oil.

The oil change is important because the brake fluid soaks down into the crankcase and breaks down the lubrication capacity of the oil too.

Then work the engine hard, and the remaining soot will burn off.

If that still doesnt work, grind the valves. I bet it HAS been overheated.

Also: have you checked the tappet settings? if you have a tight tappet it will run bad, and get worse when hot.

As I am only a farmer, I have not a lot of experience of engines. I was fortunate enough to meet a full time zetor mechanic and he's calling to me at the weekend. Thank you all for your suggestions and help and I will let you know what the story with the 3320 is after that.

P.S I will pass on your thoughts of the problem to the mechanic

Finally Zetor engineer arrived to check the running bad engine. After a few minutes he discovered a problem with cylinder one. After opening the rocker cover and turning the engine slowly he discovered a bent push rod. He extracted the bent part and proceeded to straighten in a bench vice. Refitted the part and running like a clock! Thank you all for your help and talk to you all soon again.

Thanks for the update, i do have to wonder what caused the pushrod to bend. Could have been a stuck valve, must have come right now if all is well.

i had a bent pushrod in my 7745 for years , discovered it when i changed the piston rings because it ran hot for me. but there was no change in power sound or anything with a bent pushrod,

Finally Zetor engineer arrived to check the running bad engine. After a few minutes he discovered a problem with cylinder one. After opening the rocker cover and turning the engine slowly he discovered a bent push rod. He extracted the bent part and proceeded to straighten in a bench vice. Refitted the part and running like a clock! Thank you all for your help and talk to you all soon again.

Thanks for the tip, worked for me too
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back