• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

3320 not charging

davidgriggwindstreamnet

Level 2
First name
david
hi all my 95 model 3320 is not charging, i had the alternator checked at a shop and they said it was working correctly, he told me that this type had to be excited by the wire connecting by the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator. how can i check to see if this is working properly and is this a wire i could have damaged removing the cowling and instrument panel?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
david

Is the charging lamp lightening before you start the engine? The regulator on the alternator is initialised by 12V through the charging lamp on the instrument panel and turns off when the alternator start charging.

Hazze

Is the charging lamp lightening before you start the engine? The regulator on the alternator is initialised by 12V through the charging lamp on the instrument panel and turns off when the alternator start charging.

Hazze

Same setup as lucas. if the charge light bulb blows it will not charge. make sure there is 12v supply going to bullb and other side of bulb is conected to the corect terminal on the alternator. Test by earthing, should light up the bulb

Thanks Hazze that fixed it up, bulb was not out but socket was rusted to point it would not conduct electricity, changed that and its charrgin!
thanks again
david

I had the same problem, It was the wire from the alt to the igintion.

where is this bulb you guys are talking about? I have a 3340, wasnt charging, replaced alternator, still not charging.. what bulb are you talking about? Thanks

where is this lamp at? my 3340 has same problem but i dont know anything about a charging lamp?? thanks

Thanks Hazze that fixed it up, bulb was not out but socket was rusted to point it would not conduct electricity, changed that and its charrgin!
thanks again
david

I have a similar issue, system not charging, I have 12V at the light but it does not illuminate, I pulled the socket and tested the socket with the bulb installed and it works.
Does this indicate the voltage regulator?

If you have a tractor that's not charging up the battery, first check the battery is good and holding charge first, then get the alternator tested and the regulator, you can also bypass the regulator by putting a wire between d+ and df on the alternator.

If the lamp and wire to the regulator is ok you will most likely find the problem in the alternator. The regulator or the rotor windings. How about the carbon bruches? The lamp gives a small current which magnifies the rotor and the generator starts and gives a voltage whereby the lamp now gets plus 12v on both sides and goes out. No current throw the lamp-no charging.

I disassembled the alternator and cleaned it up as much as possible. The diode trio seems to be functioning as it should. the regulator brushes are long and seem to be in good shape. I do not know how to test the regulator. The bearings are smooth and all other internal components appear to be in good working order.
I cleaned the spade connections as they were a bit rusted.
I wired it to the tractor with no change in results. I intend to have a shop check it out today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back