• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

6245 help with oils

robbieh

Level 2
First name
OhioBuck8
hey guys. back again with yet another question about my 6245 I inherited last year.
Spring is finally here and I would like to change the oils in my tractor, as well as add grease to the grease fittings. I have a chart for all the grease fittings.
My question is about the oils. Basically, I would like to know the correct oils to use, quantities, and locations. Here is some info I found. Please tell me if this is correct:

For motor - 15w40. This seems easy enough, but how much does my tractor take?

front planetary and rear final drive - 80w90. I don't know where these locations are. Also, how much do they take?

Front axle, rear end, transmission and hydraulic - hytran oil.
same issue, where are these locations and how much hytran oil?

clutch and brake - dot3 brake fluid. where and how much?

power steering - hytran oil. where and how much?

I realize I'm asking for a lot of info here, but I would really appreciate it. The owners manual that came with this tractor is poorly written and doesn't really explain things clearly. Also, I am in the US.
Does anyone have a service manual available for download? I googled this, but can only find sites that sell them. I'll pay if I have to, but am hoping to get one for free.
Thanks so much.:p

Not all the answers but
For motor - 15w40 = 12l
front planetary = 0,75 l
Front diff = 4l
rear final drive=1,9 l (the portal where the weel is fitted. In the bottom of this "gearbox" you find the drainplug and a bit up on the inside the filling and levelplug)
power steering= 5,5l if it is the hydrostatic type (orbitrol)
clutch and brake= 0,5l
Hazze

Thank you for the reply. This is a great start.

I see on the outside of the front tires, there are 2 bolts (plugs) . I think one is for filling and the other is the drain. It looks like oil goes right into the wheel. Is this the front planetary or the front diff?

Also, do the hydraulics and transmission use the same oil?

no att front tires is planetarydrive use80/90w oil
the front diff is in the senter off aksel drainplug under fill plugg in front,
and yes hyrdo/trans oil is the same oil fillhole is inside cab on right
hand side onn gearboks inn front off dipstikk.

Is this the front planetary or the front diff?
It is the planetary.
There are two plugs. The one with the biggest distance from the centre of the wheel is both drain and fill. Downwards you drain and then turn it up and it works like a filling plug. The other one is the level-plug. When filling and oil starts coming out you have the right level.

Also, do the hydraulics and transmission use the same oil? You have to use a universal tractor oil 10W30 or 80W GL4 transmission oil. This is important. You can use the same tractor universal oil in both the transmission and engine however I prefer to use a pure 15W40 motor-oil in the engine.
The transmission and hydraulic volume is 36 l and have the same filling-plug beside the gear shift lever on the floor that will say it is the same oil.
Hazze

Thank you both for the replies.

I have 15w40 tractor engine oil for the engine. But for the hydraulic and trans oil I was told to get HyTran oil, which is a universal oil. I was told in my 6245 it is the same for both the hydraulics and transmission. Sounds like you guys are telling me the same thing and that it takes 36L.

For the hydraulics/transmission oil, do I need to drain the old oil out first? If so, where would the drain plug be?

Also, thank you both for explaining the locations of the front diff (axel) and front planetary. The front planetary takes 80w90 but what does the front axel take? I was told to use the same HyTran oil for the front axel.

they used to prescribe 80w/90 for the rear axle final drives since the 4011, but on the Proxima they prescribe 10w/30 multifarm because it can take higher temperatures better. STOU or UTTO is more expensive because it will work for everything (except for power steering which needs ATF II)

For the hydraulics/transmission oil, do I need to drain the old oil out first?
How old is the oil. Right or wrong I change every other year even if its just 500 h running time.
I use the same oil 80w90 in the front axle both planetary and diff.
Hazze

Renze - I'm a little confused. So could I just go ahead and use 80w90 for the Rear Final Drives? Or are you saying I should use 10w30?

What type of oil should I use for Power Steering?

Haze - I don't know exactly when the Hydraulic /Trans oil was last changed. This was my Dad's tractor but he passed away last year. I would like to go ahead and change all the oils.

Where is the drain for the Hydraulic/Trans oil located?

Thanks again everyone. You are all helping me very much!:)

I dont know how to get a picture into this box but look where the shaft going from the front axle backwards into the gearbox. On this house where the shaft going in at the lowest point facing backwards you find a drain-plug. Open it and you will drain about 34 of the 36 l.
Anybody know how to get a picture into this ?

Hazze

The powersteering needs either ATF 2 or ISO 21 hydraulic oil. since ISO 21 is an extremely thin hydraulic fluid its hard to obtain. Next to that, ATF2 maintains its viscosity over a much wider temperature range, so you get the same sensitivity summer and winter.

10w/30 or 15w/40 multifarm, STOU or UTTO (whatever you call it) can be used anywhere, as it has all the additives of gear lube, engine oil and anti foam additives of hydraulic oil. thats why its more expensive.

80w/90 is a gear oil with friction modifiers, but without temperature additives so using it in the rear end will work in cold climates with low hydraulic requirements. (not when using a front loader in hot summer weather)

Hydraulic oil is the most basic oil, it just has some anti foam additives but doesnt lubricate well.

Due to the deterioration of oil when stored in an opened drum, i'd advise to only buy the universal oil and use it for engine, final drives and transmission/hydraulics, so you use it before it deteriorates by absorbing moisture from the air.
If you use a drum within the year, its cheaper to buy gear oil for the axles and final drives, engine oil for the engine and UTTO for the transaxle.

STOU is the oil you use when using just a few litres each year. (Super Tractor Oil Universal, for engine, transmission and hydraulics) or UTTO (Universal Tractor Transmission Oil, for transmission and hydraulics) together with a drum of cheaper engine oil when you use the package size within a year. If you use a lot of oil, it pays to buy an oil for each specification.

the correct amount of oil for a 6245 gearbox is 27 liters if you have a loader or wery steep terrain it takes 32 liter. not 34 or 36.

Can i vary from land to land because I read in the manual and it says 36 l exactly the same as the follow up model 4340. 6045 keeps less but I dont remeber if it is 32 or 34. So consequently is the figure in the manual wrong? When I drained my friends 6245 about 36 l came out and I filled it with 36 l and the dipstick tells OK.
Hazze

Thank You.
In the Swedish/English manual it says "27 litre however use 2 litres more of fluid on a tractor with front drive axle. The amount of fluid has to be increased by another 7 litres when working on a slope with the tractor". Right or wrong I use 36 l and no leakage can be seen from overfilling and the dip-stick shows OK. Can this have negative effect? The Swedish manual recommend 36 l.

Hazze

We park the 10 ton dumptrailer with a support under the bucket so that A. rainwater runs off the floor and B. the first stage of the telescopic cylinder takes about 8 liter of oil. When we need the trailer we lower the bucket so this oil runs in the back end, and carry it when the trailer is used. when not used the oil is stored inside the hydraulic cylinder again, so there is less drag in the transmission when the extra oil isnt needed.

Thanks again guys! You're all helping me very much!!!

I think I only have a few more questions. I need to know where the drain and fills are for the clutch, brake, and power steering.

Also, where do I add engine coolant? What type should I use and how much?

You're all great for getting me through this!

hi powerster is the big round sylinder in front off radiator cap in senter to fill dippstik is a small round tapp onthe side oppen that hen fillling or it goes wery slow,clutch brake fluid is inn the rear end off engine one the right hand side,colant is fild at topp off radiator takes 10l ca any colant whith anti corosjon is ok miks50/50. hope thise helps you

I loosen the 19mm nut of the lid and fill powersteering directly, not through the gauze when changeing oils. it takes too long.

Thank you both. Since I don't know when this tractor was last serviced, should I drain the clutch & brake and power steering fluids first? If so, where do they drain from?

Also, by 50/50 for the coolant, do you mean mix with water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back