• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

tha_ulsterscot

Level 2
First name
Tha Ulsterscot
Just found this forum earlier tonite, and thought someone on here may be able to help . My 9641 developed a squeil, high pitched whistle, sounding like a bearing running dry, first thought was water pump, which was leaking anyway, so fitted a new one. no difference. new fan belts, no difference, ran engine without fan belts to check if fault was in alternator, no difference, found leak in gaskets between inlet manifold and head, new gaskets,no diff. Then dissconnected hose between turbo and manifold, no diff. Finally fitted a new turbo today and yes it made no difference. Can't find any other leaks anywhere, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does'nt seem to be doing any harm but the noise is serious Thanks, Tha Ulsterscot

We had a similar problem with an 8245, it turned out to be the balancer unit in the sump, the chrome on one of the bearings had become pitted. These were needle roller bearings, but I don't know what type is fitted to your tractor. The only remedy was to replace the balance shafts and the bearings.

Dave thanks for your reply, although I hope you are wrong as it sounds expensive. We have tried everything we can think of now and the dealer is coming to see what he can do. Went this morning and saw a similar tractor, just to make sure it wasn't
normal turbo noise, but this left me in no doubt that something is amiss. Will let you know how things pan out. Ulsterscot

Dave have finally got the big lady sorted, and unfortunately you were spot on. My dealer stripped her down and could see nothing wrong, so after a good clean up, rebuilt the engine,
only to find the noise still there. Checked the air compressor,
and power steering pump, to find nothing, even split the tractor and checked the clutch, so back to the needle bearings on the balance shafts. had the shafts checked,didn't need regrinding, fitted new needle bearings and this cured her. strange thing is the old bearings appear to be perfect but it must have been them creating the noise. Now looking forward to a "quiet"
spring and summer. Not looking forward to the bill though .
Ulsterscot

To change these bearings do you have to take oil sump and engine front cover off?

The dealer did my work, but I think he said they could be done through the timing cover, after the front axle and cradle are wheeled out. Ploughed all day Thurs. with her and they have made a good job of her, running like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back