• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Best Zetor for forestry?

Crystalman and Renze,
Our tractor's gone into the local garage to see if he can do anything with the axle, I'm sure he can, he's a good mechanic (he will be looking at this web site) And I printed Crystalmans repair directions and gave him them.
If we had it reconditioned the engine and gearbox would not need touching, the engine is better now than when new, it doesn't use a drop of oil or water and starts instantly.
Now would be a good time to get a newer macine as this year there is a good grant for forestry machines.
Our old one would be used for very rough jobs, and maybe as much as it is now if the new tractor's not a Zetor .
Renze I'll have to paint the guarding yellow it looks good on that web site. Thanks.

hey Doc,

So you think a Steyr equipped for forestry work with 9500 hours,but a rebuilt engine and clutch is not worth 8700 Euros? I find that kind of hard to understand,when you think that ragged out 6718 of your's with over 10,000 hours is worth what was it 2500 or 3000 Euros as you told Crow you'd sell it to him for. Look at how much more you are getting with that Steyr,or am I missing the point about the brand being inferior?

As for the rebuild price it was quoted in DM not Euros. So if the guy did not make a mistake and add too many zeros it would have cost just over 7,158 Euros to do the work. Which is a credible cost of that type of work. Especially not knowing what else was repaired at that time.

Woodbeef, if you feel offended: I didn't say that the Steyr isn't worth it...:p:p
It's just, if you change the Zetor for the Steyr, chance is that the Zetor will be worth less than the Steyr, so you have to pay more while the Steyr has more hours, and probably looks worse than the Zetor. I dont know how Brian's 7245 looks like, but you can see the 9500 hours on the outside of that Steyr... a little rough i mean.

It had nothing to do with brand loyalty, or superiority, just an economical approach. If you pay more, do you actually get more ??
Personally i wouldn't trade a well running 7245 (you know what to expect from your own machine) for an older Steyr, if you only hear what they DO tell you (14.000 Dmark repair) you dont know what a tractor trader DID NOT tell you..

Over here, an engine shop about 25 km away from here offered overhaul for MWM engines (exampled one was Fendt 106) for 6100 guilders. that's about 2900 Euro.. A clutch overhaul is 1000 Euro plus a day of work, 8 hours x 50 Euro is 400 Euro.

Total is about 4500 Euro. Not 7.158

...By the way, the 2300 Euro for a 6718 is definately a usual trade price.. I even offered the tractor for 2000 Euro if i dont have to check why it doesn't start, probably needs a battery, but i havent checked.

Sorry Woodbeef but I agree with Renze we are better off with our Zetor than a 9000h Steyr thats been used for forestry, it could be realy rough, I think its better to buy a farm tractor and put some guarding on. Steyr's are rare in this country and I've read CNH are stopping selling them in the UK.
Some forestry contractors hear think that Belarus are the best for the job, but not me.

Hi Brian,

All other things being equal (engine HP, spec etc.), do you think the reason that many Forestry contractors think that Belarus is best have anything to do wit h price?

Good picture from Classic Tractor - how did you manage to get on/off without sinking up to your oxters in muck?

Did Classic Tractor ever send you the model for your son?

Tom in Ireland

Hey Doc,

You're price qoute is for a MWM engine not Steyr. Plus like I have already stated we do not know what else was done at that time. I still say for a fully equipped,rebuilt forestry tractor the price is not all that bad.

Yes, Brian I also read that CNH will be discountinuing the Steyr brand in the UK. But not really sure what that has to dowith getting parts and service for older models.

Woody, are you saying the 8080 has a Steyr engine, not MWM ??
Ford, Perkins and Deutz overhauls used to be 5500 guilders, 2500 Euro. Koning Motorenrevisie Staphorst is the name of the company.

O.K. maybe the price for the Steyr will do, but my point is, that it is of no use spending another 2500 Euro if you trade the 7245 for the Steyr with more hours.

Yes, i agree that we dont know what else has been replaced.
But neither we know what needs to be replaced iin the near future... I'd say you know better what has to be replaced soon, when you work with it every day, than on the tractor you just got.

O.K. but MWM built them too... Steyr developed them but produced them in co-operation with MWM, i was thinking...

When did this engine start it's productional life ?

Adam L
I like Zetors for forestry mainly because of the engine, they will pull so easy just on low revs, there is good ground clearance for driving in deep ruts and over stumps and rocks.
The hydraulic pump is better than most for driving a crane, there is no need for a separate pto driven pump.
Loads of room in the cab to sit facing backwards when using the crane.
My list could go on and on.
Tom, still not got the model but I've sent them an e-mail, my son can't wait any longer. Glad you liked the pictures in Classic Tractor, most of the places we work are like that. That's another point why Zetor , most tractors wouldn't stand it up to their oxters.
Renze, would it be possible to put some pictures of our 7245 on this site?
Also Renze whats the prize for having a very hot topic? A model tractor maybe!!!!!!! ;)

Brian, as long as the photo implementation script i am writing for this forum (in co-operation with the original author) isn't finished yet, you can use the upload function.

When everything is finished, the old photos wil be transferred to the new photo system, and certainly NOT deleted.

hey Doc,

As far as I know Steyr did not start using MWM engines till the early 90s and the 90 series had replaced the 80 series.

the brakes on the Zetor major have been modified from the days of the 7245. this modification involves new brake expanders and differant material on the brake linings. It also can be used to improve the brakes on the older tractors, pester your local dealer for details. a final word on Zetors in the forestry, "brilliant". this is after seeing what a local contractor managed with his 7045, before he snapped it in half whilst "pulling wheelies"

Renze,
Tried to e-mail the photo's, first 3 at once and they wouldn't go, so then we tried each separatly, but still didn't go, so we will try again another night.
Got the tractor back from having the king pin bearings done, it had not been an easy job,the parts had been ceased together and he had had to make up some sort of puller to get them apart.
Its been well worth it though, the steerings not bad now, and after using the county for the last few weeks it makes the Zetor seem even better. bye.

Richard, about that 7045, did they broke the casting, or did the bolts ran loose ??

Brian, glad to hear that your horse is back in good health !!

Just a follow up from my story about the 7045 snapping in half. What I forgot to mention was that the tractor had a winch on the link arms, and instead of the operator using just the winch to move the timber, he used to drive the tractor and operate the winch at the same time. so 50% of the time he would steer using the independent brakes needles to say that after continually slaming the tractor down on the front axle something had to give, and the gearbox parted company from the transmission. At least it was an easy problem to sort out why the hydraulics wouldnt work. By the way a county has replaced the Zetor , allthough I dont think it is as popular.

So, it snapped between main gearbox and differential housing ??

Just a reply to the guest who asked why I don't like Countys,
They do have some good points like all makes have good and bad. Ours is only 70hp and there is not enough power for all its weight. Its got a duncan cab ( very small and no sound proofing) so its deafening to drive even with ear muffs. Its got smaller wheels than most so there is not much ground clearance. To me all the gears seem to be in the wrong place. The foot brakes are good though a 1000 times better than a 7245s
We have a Broughton winch on ours which is good on a County, it will pull a loaded artic when stuck with ease. Try that with a Zetor it would snap it ( I dont think so!)
Our Zetor spends a lot of time with its front legs in the air when winching, it doesn't show any signs of snapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back