• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

High/Low Shift Lever

kentuckykevin

Level 2
First name
Kevin
I was shifting my high/low gear lever yesterday and it was unusually hard to shift. I tried to force it, and broke something. Now the lever moves freely, and is stuck in high gear. What did I break? How do I fix it? I need low gear, every once in a while.

If it is a UR1 modl you are talking about, you probably broke the C spring pin that connects the lever to the little shaft that goes into the trans.

How hard is this to change? What all has to come off? I really miss (need) my low gear.

Only the middle part of the cab floor. i think it's about 8 M8 bolts, piece of cake.

Thanks for the info Renze, however I have a bad habit of turning something that is a piece of cake, into a weekend long project. I'll get started ASAP. So, all I need to do is remove the middle part of the cab floor, loosen the bolt holding the lever in, and pull the lever out. Hopefully the part will be available at my dealer. Thanks again for your help .

The bolt holding the lever on ?? There is no, that's what that C pin does !! :)

Any hardware store would have these in stock in all the standard sizes.

I got the middle section of the floor off and got a better look at the situation. Looks like the shaft itself is broke, rather than the c pin. The shaft slides all the way out. Looks pretty major to me. What now?

When you're already there, just take the lid off. 2 vertical M16 bolts against the rear axle, and a row of maybe 4 M10 bolts on top of each side of the transmission. Then you can take teh lid (maybe 15 kg) off and look underneath. It cant be hard, pretty basic engineering when you take just a little time to look at what's under your hands when you're working on it.

I had the same thing happen to my Zetor (I kicked the hi/lo shift lever and the lever went slack). What did you eventually find out was broken? And, did you repair it or end up carrying it to a shop?

thanks, winston lawton estill, sc

9 out of 10 cases it is just the lockpin that locks the lever on the shaft. look there first.

My man and his helper got into the transmission, and replaced the broken lever. They then put the top back on the transmission housing, but waited to attach the exposed hi/lo shift lever. Believe it or not we are catching hell getting the pin, that attaches the exposed shift lever to the gear box. The pin comes in from the backside of the lever and there is not much room. I'm afraid they've beaten the pin so much it will never get seated in the whole.

Any suggestions on getting the pin seated and will a similar pin work (if we've damaged this pin) or will only a Zetor pin work??

Thanks, winston lawton

The locking pin ?? We usually fix them by tapping a six inch wood nail into it and cut the excess length of nail off.. :)

I havent had a chance to get into my transmission yet, to fix my high low problem. I have the broken lever off (it just slid out after I removed the middle section of body, and I plan on taking it to get a replacement. I did the same thing, using my foot to move it from low to high. It has always been difficult to shift. I have been running in high gear for the last several months, but I need to take the time to fix it, as plow season is here. Once I remove the bolts that hold the top of the transmission cover, is there anything else that has to be "unhooked". I'm trying to figure out about how long it will take. The daylight hours are getting longer, but I hate to start a project, then not be able to complete it, and not be able to feed my rolls of hay to the cattle. Also, anything in particular to watch out for while attempting this repair. I love this site, and appreciate your help .

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back