• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Noisy Gearbox 7045

pycoed

Level 1
First name
John L
When I bought the tractor last autumn, I knew the front prop needed a U/J & also that first gear was noisy - both the seller & I thought it sounded like a chipped or missing tooth.
OK - back in the winter I had to drain the transmission oil, to replace the U/J on the drop box.
I cleaned the mag filter - found nothing to worry about there, refilled the old girl with SUTO & away to go. I also filtered all the old oil through some filter cloth to see what nasties appeared -nothing at all.
Having done several hours of heavy topping of rushes the other day, I noticed when taking off my ear defenders That the gearbox was noisy in all gears - no knocking as in first gear , but just general gearbox whine throughout the range.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a gearbox additive (Moly Slip or something like that) that could reduce whine without compromising the hydraulic pump & distributor circuits?

Are you sure it's not stuck in 4WD, it would whine like that.

It's definitely in 2wd (& 540 on the PTO) - I had to pull apart the linkage for 4wd in the winter & adjust the angles to actually get in & out of 4wd. Also you can quite clearly feel the front wheels pulling when in 4wd & this is absent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back