• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

PTO clutch cable

wo1842

Level 2
First name
rooster
I am replacing the frozen PTO clutch cable on a 3320, and am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on keeping this from happening again. I had not used the pto in well over a year, and I know you should work them once in a while whether using the pto or not. No excuse, I know better. I had always used WD-40 on them every once in a while, but was wondering if graphite would be a better choice before putting in the new one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have no answer, but I'm searching for the same thing on here.:)
Heath

We used to use a product called Dri-Slide on motorcycles. I believe it is a dry moly. WD-40 would be worse than nothing and oil attracts dirt.

https://www.russack.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=18

Tony

We used to get trouble regularly with the front wheel drive operating cable on our Crystals. We solved the problen by soaking the new ones in hot melted grease on top of the kitchen stove overnight. Perhaps you could try that.

Grumpy,
Maybe after all this time it took you to come up with that, it may be time to clear up some things. I ran across this reply while searching for possible solutions to another problem that I have, since the search will not work. I stated very clearly in my post that I know what the problem is, but what I failed to state was the reason for it. I am gone sometimes for 6 to 8 months at a time, through no fault of my own. I will accept responsibility for that fact, I was simply asking a question as to a preventative measure to keep it from happening again. I am not at home all the time as some of you are. And I damn sure don't appreciate a smart ass answer like yours. I was simply on here to ask a question that I figured maybe someone had a solution to. I thought this was the purpose of this forum, to help out people who had problems that they couldn't figure out for themselves. Evidently I had this all wrong. So instead of asking my question, as I am sure this is going to get me kicked off here, I will try to find the solution elsewhere. Have a good day.

G'day Rooster

Don't be put off as you have a good answer from Dave P. The can or tin of grease on a stove is an old trick but a very effective one also used on motorcycle chains in the days before "O" ring sealed chains.

Another way is to use a cable greaser which enables you to fill the cable with grease under pressure. Motorbike shops used to have these on hand.
A grease with a dry lubricant added such as graphite or moly disulphide should also tend to lubricate after the grease has dried out with time etc.

Thick lanolin grease is very effective if warmed and run in hot. When it cools and thickens it remains greasy for years and resists water.

Keeping water out is a good move no matter what you use.

I made up a stainless steel inner for my hand brake cable

Renze i thougt you kicked out this grumpy fellow a time back for rude behaviour....... maybe its time to do it again.....

Renze i thougt you kicked out this grumpy fellow a time back for rude behaviour....... maybe its time to do it again.....

I just deleted Grumpys post, i just saw it, and its again one of his self-witted posts that is, as we say in Holland, "kicking an open door" using many words but saying nothing at all...
I believe its a post from quite a while back, before this topic was brought back to surface.

And I damn sure don't appreciate a smart ass answer like yours. I was simply on here to ask a question that I figured maybe someone had a solution to. I thought this was the purpose of this forum, to help out people who had problems that they couldn't figure out for themselves. Evidently I had this all wrong. So instead of asking my question, as I am sure this is going to get me kicked off here, I will try to find the solution elsewhere. Have a good day.

Rooster, i feel the same... So dont bother about Grumpy. (do not mix him up with grumpy6711 which is a good fellow around here )

it was his post in this thread i meant, but have seen a few other of the same kind its great thath you remove this posts and keep this forum the way it should be, great job :)

it was his post in this thread i meant, but have seen a few other of the same kind its great thath you remove this posts and keep this forum the way it should be, great job :)

I dont want many rules on a forum, give each other some space. But if people become a pain in the ass to others, without any usefull contribution to this forum at all, i wont let them spoil the fun for the other users....

Most important forum rule:
- As this is a worldwide forum, we respect all cultures and people,
There is no need for discussion about what we think is a "normal" way to behave on the internet. just behave like you'd do in the real world, e.g. to your neighbour: be friendly and correct, that's all ;) [/ -- End of Quote -- ]

So dont bother about Grumpy. (do not mix him up with grumpy6711 which is a good fellow around here )

aww shucks! :) I'm all embarrassed now;)
ALL fellows are good here ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back