• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Zetor 4712 - can't select gears!

D

Dennis

Hi Renze, all,

I succeeded at last - on Saturday I bought an aged, rusty Zetor 4712 that has languished for 5-6 years in a roofless barn!

Got it started tonight (flushed the fuel system, unblocked the filters, fitted a new battery & filled the coolant system with hot water - fired up after 15-20 turns!)

The PTO works, the clutch feels 'normal' (although I never tried a Zetor clutch before) but the gear lever is very loose and no matter what, I cannot get it in gear. Tried high & low box (again, the selector feels fine) but nothing.

So, what have I missed? My guess would be a gearbox selector lever stuck, but I don't know this gearbox at all - any help out there?

First, check the low/high lever! Specially the spin that lock the lever on its shaft. It can be broken and gearbox is in N position!

Thanks Markku, I'll recheck that tonight - it fels like the hi-lo selector is moving, but I'll take the detent plug & spring out and see if the rod moves!
My problem might be lack of knowledge - I don't have an operators manual and the markings are all corroded off the labels. I assumed the gear lever just moves up & down in the slot, but do you have to twist it to locate gears? I have the repair manual and it looks like there are multiple selector levers, so just moving the lever up & down would not be enough!

It's a five speed with reverse.

Just try to push the knob on the lever forward and you will see that it twists into gear. knob will move about 2 to 4 cm, depending on gear. (4th and 5th gear have a smaller lever stroke because they are constant mesh, while the others are slifing mesh)

Renze, that was what I needed! Started it up tonight and got it into all gears, but the left hand wheel is locked solid. Right hand moves fine; the handbrake 'collar' is loose so I guess the brake shoes are frozen onto the drum.

Tried rocking in forward & reverse, low box, for about 45 minutes but it still won't come free. I'll have to split the casing when I have time.

thanks again, I'll send some pic's when I have a chance.

Brakes stick within 2 months. Dont think you'll fix the brakes when you need them after two months, because they are stuck then. Our 5245 also has a sticking brake sometimes.

Success at last! I loosened the bolts around the casing and rocked the beast forward and back for 10 minutes with no luck; my foot slipped off the clutch and BANG!, the wheel moved.

Moved the tractor back to the house (in the dark, lot's of nice sparks from the exhaust!) ready to start a rebuild. 1st job - free up all the controls, change the filters & fluids and see what does/does not work. 2nd job, renew the brake system.

If the brakes are frequently used, they will work good.
But these old drum brakes had a nasty tendency to stick if not used every month. Last winter i had two leaking master cylinders on our 5245, i didn't have time to replace them. After two month when i needed it for road transport (to do spring work on a piece of land 3 km from home) i replaced the brake cylinder but found the drum sticking....:sneaky:

If it has been standing still for 6 years, i can imagine the sparks... All coal and tar in the head is oxidised into white foggy lumps that burn (oxygen and Co) quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back