• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question 5245 rear lift arms stuck in UP position

krankyfarmer1

Level 2
First name
James
lift arms are stuck in the up position, taking things apart to try and get the cover off. Does the park brake and PTO lever have to comes loose in order to remove the metal cover? never worked on a Zetor before so im a newbie this go around..
anyone had this issue before? Hoping just a stuck valve...

Thanks

lift arms are stuck in the up position, taking things apart to try and get the cover off. Does the park brake and PTO lever have to comes loose in order to remove the metal cover? never worked on a Zetor before so im a newbie this go around..
anyone had this issue before? Hoping just a stuck valve...

Thanks

Valve getting stuck happened with a heavy load on the 3pt. I cured that by popping a wheelie, which temporarily takes the weight off the 3pt wich pops the valve loose.

The valve usually gets stuck when the pump cant get it all the way up and remains pumping oil into the system, thereby heating the valve so it sticks in its bore. Ive had that on multiple occasions on several models when digging deep holes with a 3pt rear bucket.

And what we once found when that didnt work: Unbolted the rear cab floor (the elevated part with the seat) unbolted the knobs from external hydraulics and 3pt lift lever, lifted the floor section up and tied the seat to the steering wheel. Then lifted the 3point lift cover off with an engine hoist.

At the dealer they operated it on air by blowing air pressure in it with an air gun with a rag wrapped around it to seal it somewhat. It turned out that one of the sickle shaped cam tracks that actuate the position control, was bent when i hung it up with the rear wheels off the ground.

Valve getting stuck happened with a heavy load on the 3pt. I cured that by popping a wheelie, which temporarily takes the weight off the 3pt wich pops the valve loose.

The valve usually gets stuck when the pump cant get it all the way up and remains pumping oil into the system, thereby heating the valve so it sticks in its bore. Ive had that on multiple occasions on several models when digging deep holes with a 3pt rear bucket.

And what we once found when that didnt work: Unbolted the rear cab floor (the elevated part with the seat) unbolted the knobs from external hydraulics and 3pt lift lever, lifted the floor section up and tied the seat to the steering wheel. Then lifted the 3point lift cover off with an engine hoist.

At the dealer they operated it on air by blowing air pressure in it with an air gun with a rag wrapped around it to seal it somewhat. It turned out that one of the sickle shaped cam tracks that actuate the position control, was bent when i hung it up with the rear wheels off the ground.
Interesting, yeah im looking at taking the 3point lift cover off and seeing if its the valve or if a linkage has come loose per say.. i gotta figure out how to unhook the pto and park brake levers i am guessing, just taking the handles off but not sure... i am gonna try and work on it more today as i have it set up in a barn where i can use a chain hoist to lift the heavy plate up and off..

Leave the PTO and hand brake in place, their bowden cables have enough room when you pull the seat up towards the steering wheel and tie it with baler twine.

But, if no implement is attached, try if you can get them to lower by standing on the lift arms, or try what happens if you manually yank the lift arms up, before you take everything apart.

Leave the PTO and hand brake in place, their bowden cables have enough room when you pull the seat up towards the steering wheel and tie it with baler twine.

But, if no implement is attached, try if you can get them to lower by standing on the lift arms, or try what happens if you manually yank the lift arms up, before you take everything apart.
gotcha, all i got off was the pto handle and trying to figure out the brake lol... i can put back no problem.. thanks so much because that had me scratching my head.. i think im also gonna see if i can find a repair manual for this tractor its a 84 model i believe think they stopped the 5245 in 1992. i did try using another loader with some down pressure on those arms, no dice, im thinking the up and down lever may have came loose, i will know when i get that cover off..

Thank you

, im thinking the up and down lever may have came loose, i will know when i get that cover off..

There is also some linkage on the outside. You can see it on the right hand side under the cab when you stand behind it.

There is also some linkage on the outside. You can see it on the right hand side under the cab when you stand behind it.
yeah i will give that a hard look also.. thanks i wished i could say the up and down lever was free wheeling but its not, it feels no different than before the arms got stuck..

So got handles reattached. And medal cover up tied up leaned forward..
Im thinking only the outer bolts need taken loose or ?
That one main line lookes like i gotta take loose under rht hand side that goes to the front.. there is a bar across the back attached to the fenders that needs removed as well..
I am guessing when i unhook the hydraulic lines from the back my lift will drop? Do i need to drop it all the way down first?

Thanks all

Attachments

• 20230911_115633.jpg
    20230911_115633.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230911_115741.jpg
    20230911_115741.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 35
Theres a hydraulic oil filter on the right hand side in front of the cab, on the end of that line. Undo that, undo the link conecting the 4 hole toplink bracket with the 3pt lift cover, undo the pull rods from the lift arms, and indeed undo the M12 bolts around the perimeter of the cover. Then lift it off high enough so you dont damage the levers underneath the cover.
Oh yes, undo the line to the external ram too.

Dont forget to change the O rings on the small tube between lift cover and axle housing when youre in there, and the main ram seals are 30 years old too, so its easy to change while youre in there.

This thing has 2 filters on right side right velow the starter i see.. looks like that extra long line that goes under the right side will have to be moved completely..
Bare with me this is u charted territory for me lol.
Thank u for your help , greatly appreciated

Theres a hydraulic oil filter on the right hand side in front of the cab, on the end of that line. Undo that, undo the link conecting the 4 hole toplink bracket with the 3pt lift cover, undo the pull rods from the lift arms, and indeed undo the M12 bolts around the perimeter of the cover. Then lift it off high enough so you dont damage the levers underneath the cover.
Oh yes, undo the line to the external ram too.

Dont forget to change the O rings on the small tube between lift cover and axle housing when youre in there, and the main ram seals are 30 years old too, so its easy to change while youre in there.
I see that filter now.. thanks

I take these are all threaded lefty loosy and not left hand threaded that bolt in the bottom of filter housing won't break loose 🤷‍♂🤔

I'm not sure if yours has the external ram that was mentioned? It doesn't look like it, (as a new member I cant open the image to see for sure) but if it does be careful because as you remove that line your arms will lower forcing out a lot of fluid and necessitating a shower.

As to your bolt question, I believe they are conventional threads, yes.

(as a new member I cant open the image to see for sure)
Can you take a screen shot from please? New members as also guests should see all uploaded pictures on our site. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back