• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5718 batteries (question moved from guestbook)

Netherlands Renze

Administrator
Staff member
First name
Renze

Machinery:
1976 5718
1978 5718 35kmh: Work in progress
1967 3011
Original written in the guestbook by :
Fred <crazedout@swipnet.se>
Kolmrden, Sweden - Thursday, July 31, 2003 at 09:36:29 (CEST)[/][/]

Hi.
I have a Zetor 5718 1976 and I'm having problems with battery power. I'm gonna replace the generator but there's also place for two batteries, I'm only using one. Do I need two batteries?

Fred,

Older tractors sometimes had two 6 volt batteries. two 6 volt is 12 volt. If you are using a 12 volt battery everything is official.
Bigger tractors, the Crystal 4.5 and 6.8 liter engines, sometimes had a 24 volt (truck engine) starter, using two batteries to start the engine at 24 volt, but things as lighting and gauges just ran on standard 12 volt.

All you need is 12 volt, this can be achieved by one 12 volt or two 6 volt batteries.

Hey Fred ! Are your batteries too weak ? Do the batteries loose the power fast, are they taking charge fast ? If so, your batteries are having a layer of sulfate on the leadplates inside the battery. But the battery may be saved ;) Are the startermotor turning the engine slowly ? Check the carbons in your startermotor. Maybe they are worn out. If the generator is getting hot (all the time) you are giving your generator a short life >:) One battery OK. The connection on the battery and too ground is important ;) OLA.

Don't know if they are wired in series or parallel but a 5718 should have two 12 volt batteries but wired up so that you only get 12 volts with plenty of current to turn the engine.Thats what my 6748 has and my 10045 Crystal.
Saying all this though the 6748 has had only one good battery for years but because it is such a good starter(Full throttle,press excess fuel button on fuel pump then back off throttle to about a third revs) I have never bothered to change them.When it lets me down I will buy two new ones:):)

However, the 8245 has the 24 volt starting of the 6 cylinder Crystals wired up to get 12 volts under normal use with the relay that switches to 24 volts when the starter is operated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back