• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

FAQ General purchase advice - Zetor

Germany Joachim

Administrator
Staff member
First name
Joachim

Machinery:
Zetor 2011, Zetor 3045, Zetor 5011, Zetor 7340 Economic
General purchase advice - Zetor
*Types independent*
Is a Zetor the right tractor for me or should I choose another brand?
Zetor tractors are generally very robustly constructed tractors that last longer than others, even with less maintenance than usual. But of course, sensible maintenance significantly extends the life of the Zetor tractor. So if you think maintenance is unnecessary nonsense - it's better to stay away from any tractor. ;)
Zetor engines are considered relatively economical and yet powerful. The tractors themselves are manoeuvrable and robust, spare parts are still comparatively very cheap and very easy to get.​
The only flaw a Zetor has is his status outside the former Eastern Bloc - because there he is still often the exotic, the underdog. But only because some people have no idea that Zetor has been around for 70 years now and well over a million Zetor tractors have been built. In the eastern part of the country it still enjoys a much better reputation because people know it and its advantages here... ;)

I would like to buy a Zetor - what should I consider?

1. What do I actually want? Which type, which year?

First you should be clear about how much horsepower you need for which work. A few possible areas of application would be:​
  • Stable work
  • Grassland
  • Transport
  • Forest work
  • Agricultural work
You should also speculate a little into the future about what might happen next so that you don't end up with the unsuitable or too small tractor too soon.​
The local conditions also play a decisive role. Small yard, stable, narrow paths - so do I place more value on maneuverability or is space at the future location not a problem at all and it would be nice to have a larger one?​
Mountains or rather flatlands? All-wheel drive or is rear-wheel drive enough?​

2. Which Zetor is suitable for my purpose, or more suitable than others?
The older the Zetor, the lower the hydraulic performance (1960-70 15-20l/min, 1975-90 20-30l/min, later 40, 50 and more) and the comfort (convertible, Fritzmeier top, cabin small or large).​
The most maneuverable are the 2- and 3-cyl. Models with 20-45 HP such as: 2011, 3011, 2511, 3511, 4712, 4911, 5011, 5211, ... - i.e. the smallest of the respective series. However, these have their biggest weakness when lifting in the rear hydraulics, because if they are not properly ballasted in the front, they are only inadequately steerable because it relieves the front axle relatively quickly.​
The 4 cyl. Models already have advantages here, which are further increased in all-wheel drive vehicles due to the higher weight on the front axle. A front loader can also have a positive effect on weight distribution when lifting heavy loads, even if it weighs.​
The all-wheel drive vehicles are more suitable for field work, the mountains or the forest (XX41, XX43, XX44 XX45 and XX4:cool: than the previous rear-axle driven models.​
From series 10 (5011 to 7045), many Zetor tractors already have hydraulic steering assistance installed - later also fully hydraulic steering, which significantly improves work, especially with front loaders, as they are much easier to steer.[/INDENT ]​
Would there be more comfort? From the 9 series (4911 ...) onwards, quite usable cabins with heating were installed - from 5011 also with noise insulation, there are different types and most are equipped with water heating and ventilation. In the older models, only so-called Fritzmeier tops were often installed, if at all. Here you should know whether the tractor should also be used at -20° (forest work, pushing snow?), and if necessary invest in a Zetor with a cabin.​

3. Spare parts supply
Of course, the supply of spare parts is also important. For the Zetor Super types it can be described as moderately good, for the UR1 types (Zetor 2011 to Zetor 7341) it can even be described as good. Things generally look very good for newer models, although long-term availability still has to be proven.​
The situation looks less good and sometimes even bad for the UR2 Zetor Crystal and Zetor/ZTS types and for the very old Zetor 15 and Zetor 25 as well as the vineyard variants.​
Important when purchasing spare parts:​
pay attention not only to the price, but also to advice on the origin of the parts and, if necessary, support from the dealer, i.e. whether they answer questions before or after the purchaseis available.​
There are often spare parts that look the same at first glance, but when they are at home they turn out to be Chinese goods.​
Therefore, pay attention to what is ordered:​
Original Zetor (are packaged accordingly and often with the Zetor logo), good quality replica, usually cheaper than the original and marked accordingly (e.g. origin "CZ" or "orig. Fragokov"), some of which come from Zetor suppliers and are then mostly equivalent to the original. And a replica of the cheap type, and isn't good for much or for long.​
Attention! Even for crankshafts, for example, there are currently 3 qualities (as of 2021)!​
In addition to Zetor Germany, there are also other dealers for Zetor spare parts in Germany. It's worth comparing.​

A clutch is normally not repaired on the Zetor!), if nothing else (pressure plate, flywheel worn).​
This isn't rocket science either and the price is actually surprisingly cheap if you can do it yourself.​
Electrical
  • Indicators and driving lights, also safety switches (handbrake, clutch) and indicator lights (PTO shaft control if available, oil pressure, air pressure), as well as blower, heater and wiper.
  • Check cabling visually!
  • Check battery condition.

At the end the overall impression of the machine and the owner. Never be dazzled by freshly painted sheet metal! ;)

Last but not least - it's better to ask twice here in the forum or write to me via PM or E-Mail, shows photos so that we can get an impression and sleep on them for a night or two before you buy.

Zetor tractors are inherently very robust and durable tractors - but unfortunately they have been poorly looked after and maintained here and there due to their comparatively low price.
But once you have decided on your Zetor and give it a little maintenance and care and, if necessary, have eliminated the maintenance backlog, it can once again be a very loyal companion and worker. Especially since the spare parts are relatively cheap.

That was just what came to mind on this topic, the entry will certainly be expanded. If you think of anything about it, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back