• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Zebra 2040

toby

Level 1
First name
Toby
Hi everyone! I found a zebra 2040 for sale here in northwestern vermont and I am kind of interested in buying it. The problem is i've never seen one before, and I'm not sure what it is worth, or if it is worth anything at all!! I would be using the tractor to pull out logs, and to run a wood splitter. So my questions are:
Does anyone have one of these? Are they reliable? What is it worth?

Thanks for the help !

The 2040 is kind of the red-headed stepchild of Zetor . It was a US version of a tractor similar to the W4000 Farmer [/]offered by Wisconsin Engineering, but the W4000 has a different engine giving it greater HP, and only offered during 1995. The original MSRP was $8500.

I suspect as it was air-cooled, it couldn't meet EPA specs.

My input on this tractor (based upon a couple of 5-10 min test drives around a dealer's lot at least 13 years ago):
Very agile and maneurverable, despite lack of power steering (although the dealer did mention a Char-Lynn add-on unit was available)

Engine felt like it had torque to spare; probably a little under-rated at 20hp

Would have prefered a 9-3 transmission, instead of 6-3, and a live PTO instead of tranny driven, but overall a nice little machine that would have worked well for my needs. (The CFO nixed the idea!)

I've only come across two used units since then, and both were around $5000 asking price, although the last one was maybe three years ago. Probably means that not many were sold in the US, and the one's that were are being held onto by their owners. One was only used to care for a large estate and the other was used breifly by a tree nursery.

The former machine's owner really liked the tractor, but decided he really didn't need something that large/capable to mow his yard. The second tractor's owner bought it to handle a mounted sprayer and mower for his fir tree business. He liked it on the sprayer (3pt would lift more than the front end of the tractor could keep on the ground), but didn't like how small front end movements/steering corrections were tranmitted to, and it seemed, amplified by the mower, thereby resulting in the edge of the mower hitting tree trunks.

On both occasions, I just couldn't present a good enough argument to justify the expense to the CFO. Guess I gotta work on that...

Its a TZ-4-K14
You can google them and find some (Czech!!) info

I've had a Zebra 2040 for 3 years that I picked up at a local auction for 2,000. Lights don't work or any of the gauges just the hour meter. It has been the best little tractor I've ever purchased. It isn't fancy and takes some effort to steer but I'm not fancy either. It has crawled over down trees, pulled loaded trailers out of the mud when our 4x4 trucks couldn't do the job. I've pulled trailers loaded with 8000 pounds out of muddy fields buried down to the frame on the tractor and the tires keep spinning. I have burried it a few times. :sneaky:
I do have the original owners manual but I desperately need a parts manual and repair manual. I need a new igntion switch, rebuild kit for the 3 point hydraulic cylinder. Any help would be great.

Update for anyone reading this. My owner manual has Zetor on it but after talking with the main parts man at Zetor he tells me Zetor only imported this and they might of had parts at one time but no longer have any parts in North America. ???

So if anyone has any parts manuals or information on where I can find parts for these let me know.

All this time I thought Zetor had a hand in building these since my manual has zetor on it. I've been bragging up their tractors based on that. I guess I need to switch and brag up Zebra.

http://www.badgerpe.com/utiltrac/w4000/w4000.htm
http://wisconsineng.webnode.cz/
First link is from a gentleman wanting to bring them into the USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back