• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

4340 dash and guages have no power

jfraley626yahoocom

Level 2
First name
jfraley
I have a 1999 4340. I used the tractor as normal a week ago. I went to start it the next day. I turned the key on and waited for the lamp on the dash to go off, it did so as normal, but when I turned the key to start the engine, everything went dead.

I checked the battery and it is good. I checked the battery disconnet switch. The turn signal and turn lamps work, the hazard flashers work, the headlights do not, the lamp for the PTO clutch will not come on. I pull started it yesterday and none of the gauges worked. The tractor ran fine, hydraulics worked fine, but the entire dash is not working. Tach is not working, temp, anything.

The bottom fuse has power on it under the dash, but the fuses above it do not have power on either side. I'm lost.

I'm hoping someone knows what this is before I have to trace everything out.

Hi,

Start from the beginning and work your way through the supply until you find the problem. The dash gets its power from the starter motor battery connection. There is a block connector on this cable under the dashboard. (If you have the model with a cab remove the front cab panel to get access to the rear of the dash.) Next check if the ignition switch is connecting when you turn it on. Don't forget to check the fuses and their connections as they are very prone to poor connections. Short them across with a screwdriver to make sure they are connecting okay.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help ! Your input is what I needed to get started without wasting a ton of time. I will start with the connections coming off the starter and move to the dash and switch. The tractor does not have a cab and has been outside a lot of it's life.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. - I am happy to find this forum. I've had my 4340 since it was new and it has performed great for me.

Mike,

I started by checking the connections on the battery, then the starter. Then I ended up taking the dash and steering assembly apart so I could get to everything. There are three wires coming off the starter so I traced them out.

To make a long story shorter.. I traced the red wire to the fuse block (bottom fuse) and it had power. I ended up finding the problem in a white connector on one of the red wires coming off the bottom fuse in the block. The red wire connection had either rusted or gotten hot and the connector wasnt holding things together tight enough. I pulled the wire out of each side and spliced it together.

All is back to normal.

Thanks again.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back