• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5211...Does this sound like a lift pump problem ?

donte

Level 1
Near Boerne , Tx in the center of the HILL COUNTRY
First name
Donte

Machinery:
Zetor 5211 with Westendorf loader and BushHog 236 shredder. Due to a broken back, my equipment has been in my tractor shed for too long; however new parts are arriving and physical update help has started.
Over the last few days my 5211 has been hard to start about 1 out of 5 times....starter spins fine, but takes a while to fire up. I've tried priming the lift pump and noticed the pressure doesnt build up as firm as it has been. Yesterday after sitting for a couple of hours......same thing, except lift pump priming doesnt build any pressure at all. Starter spins but doesnt fire up. I'm guessing lift pump needs to be replaced again....can anyone suggest anything else I can try, so I can get the tractor back to the barn before the weather turns bad. Thanks guys! Don

ps: also noticed a fuel leak somewhere in the lift pump area, but havent found the source as yet.

check there isnt a blockage in the fuel line from tank to pump..... quick way is to take pipe off at pump , if no fuel pours out blow back to tank..... use an airline ,,, diesel dont taste nice;)

Thanks Mike and ricc...I'll try to locate the source of the leak...stop it...and if still no joy....check the fuel line. Sure wish this had happened in my barn....instead of on the side of that cold, windy and dark hill. :(

I sure apprecitate your help guys...Happy Trails to you, Don

Hi BigDoug...
Everything is relative :) Sure not as cold here as in Vermont....was there during a blizzard once...but here cold is in the 30's with really cold being in the teens. Just spoiled. Merry Christmas to all, Don

Hi,
Mike and BigDoug.....tried both your suggestions and still no joy. When I blew on the fuel line, I heard it bubble in fuel tank...and then the fuel flowed well into the fuel bowl....thought it would start right up....but nope. I found the screen filter in the fuel bowl was ruptured....does that mean I could have trash downstream from the fuel bowl thats causing the problem? Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.
Don

Hi Mike
I feel stupid for not starting with the "basics" and appreciate you getting me back on the right path. The filters were really nasty...and I think were the main problem. After bleeding air out of the system, I was finally able to get her moved from the side of the hill to the barn. I still have a fuel leak I haven't been able to locate so far....but I'll find it soon. Thanks again, Don

Hi guys

After my last post....I was finally able to get my 5211 started after replacing the single fuel filter and fuel bowl strainer....then bleeding air at the injector box. After doing some work today..it gradually begain to get harder to start each time I parked it. Then it failed to start in exactly the same location on the side of the hill where it was stranded for days before.

Now I'm not getting fuel to the injector box....the fuel bowl has fuel but not building any pressure when I prime it. When I replaced the lift pump several months ago I had trouble tightening the little nut on the back side of the pump mounting flange...thinking about taking it and all the fuel lines off and staring over. Any suggestions as to other things to look for ???

Thanks guys....HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL !!!

Hi Mike
You were correct again....some sort of trash that did look like an insect.....thought for sure it would now prime and start....but no.

I don't want to bother you any more right now.....I'll keep trying to find something amiss and ask for help again if I'm completely ready to give up. I really appreciate your very prompt reply on New Year's Day....wow! Thanks, Don

Hi

Take the pipe off where it goes into the fuel filter and see if you can pump diesel out. If not, you could have a split or nipped pipe between the L pump and tank. They'll always suck air instead of diesel if there's a slight leak.

Mike

Thanks guys for all the good info. I want to give you an update on current status. After days on the side of the rocky hill trying everything suggested plus....I finally bypassed the two lines going to the gas tank with a gallon can of fuel hanging on the deck. I was able to get the air out of the system....get my 5211 started and moved it into the shed. Just in time to beat the rain and cold on the way here. I had taken the lift pump off and checked for trash or something stuck.....taken off all lines and checked for trash in the banjo fittings, filter bowl and tried to bleed air and nothing worked. I plan on dropping the gas tank so I can get to the fuel lines coming from it.....replace the two lines and clean out the trank. If this doesnt fix my problem....I plan to install an electric fuel pump.
QUESTION: Is there any special requirements for the elec pump...or will just a simple universal automotive elec pump do the trick. Thanks again....and Happy Trails to all, Don

just fit a small header tank,older zetors had an over head fuel tank when they moved to a side mounted tank the lift pump struggled when older.a lot of uk dealers fitted a header tank as a matter of course when new to save hassle later.

just fit a small header tank,older zetors had an over head fuel tank when they moved to a side mounted tank the lift pump struggled when older.a lot of uk dealers fitted a header tank as a matter of course when new to save hassle later.
I cannot envision what you are talking about... This header tank, where do you put it (elevated above the fuel tank i suppose) and which lines do you connect to it to fill it ??

i once had problem with my 7745 it ran for a little while then died on me.... i changed hoses lift pump and filters everything i could think of...... but still no change..... i took a 25 liter plastic can and used it for a tank to see if it would run then... and it did... the problem was the tank itself... or not the actual tank but the pipes going in and out..... older zetors before 1990 had loose pipes that could be removed from the tank.... this 7745 had a new type with the pipes welded into the tank so that they could not be replaced. There had to be a crack or a hole in one of the pipes because when i changed to an older type tank with the old pipe system it ran for 3000 hours without a single problem. hope this helps :)

Yes...it helps. Any past experiences with problem solving I hear about...adds to my working knowledge and possible fixes for my particular situation. I know there is a hole in the floor of the tractor (under the rubber mat) where I think you should be able to reach the fuel tank pipes and hose connections. However, it appears when the previous owner had the bucket loader installed...they had to move the fuel filler from behind part of the loader...and they did it by rotating the tank on the front end and welding new tank mtg brackets....so, the hose connections no longer line up with the hole in the floor. That's the reason I have to drop the tank...and the main reason I hadn't replaced those hoses before now. I'm hoping the new rubber hoses do the trick....if not, the electric fuel pump.
Thanks again guys....sure glad you're out there for people like me.
Don

must admit the small header tank has confused me aswell....hows it plumbed in and whats it supposed to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back