• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5211 won't engage-darn old clutch issue

ken_abbott

Level 1
First name
Ken Abbott
Spring time and ready to work, but 5211 won't work. Tractor will not go forward while in any gear. This is opposite the problem I had last year when it would not disengage. Seems that spring time around here in Texas is prime weather to lock things up.
Some hints for the experts: Fluid is full. Clutch pedal is much harder to push then before. Both master and slave appear to work fine. Looking into Inspection port can see all the linkage moving 0.25" or so. Don't believe thrust bearings are moving. Turning Flywheel turns motor, so Clutch is engaged to motor. Lever for Hi and Low has been moved back and forth to make sure drive is not in neutral. For the life of me, can't figure out where to start to look. Something has to be locked up and not moving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. Ken.

moving the flywheel means nothing: its bolted to the crankshaft, the clutch is inside of it.
Are you sure that hi/lo is in gear ?
try to shift it without clutch, does it keep grinding gears untill you press the clutch ?

Renz, the hi/lo shifter will move without the clutch pedal engaged. We can move all the shift knobs without haveing to engage the clutch pedal. There is no clashing of gears at any time. Any thoughts?.

no grinding of gears with the clutch out sounds very strange!:sneaky: hmm is the thrust bearing leaving a gap between the fingers when the clutch is out?
matthew

Hi

The clutch pedal being tight makes me think that either the crosshaft for the thrust bearing or the thrust bearing carrier have siezed in the engaged position. Operate the pedal and see what is moving. Try greasing the crosshaft and penetrating oil on the thrust carrier. If no luck it'll have to be split. Could even be the centre out of the drive plate.

Mike

Follow up. Was able to get out and work on the 5211 this weekend. Problem was discovered in the hydralic pedal loop. Appears that the slave cylindar was not releasing fully. We simply unhooked the linkage for the slave and noted that the gears began to clash while trying to engage, something that did not happen before.
So, cleaned out the fluid (which was clean) and bled the system. Problem gone. What fooled us was that the pedal would fully retract and extend, but very difficult. I suspect the clutch was just on the edge of engaging during this problem but we couldn't see it.
Thanks again for all your help . I printed the replies out and brought them out to the barn with us, hoping we would not have to break the tractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back