• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5245 Clutch thrust bearing stuck engaged

kempton

Level 1
First name
Kempton
Started the 5245, pressed in the clutch pedal, put it in gear and we didn't go anywhere. Pedal was pretty stiff. The shift lever would move freely between gears with no grinding. Tractor had sat maybe a week since I last ran it.

Took off the clutch inspection cover, and could see the thrust bearing was all the way in against the clutch fingers. With a pry bar, I could move the bearing back off the fingers and start the tractor in gear and it would go forward, but upon pushing the clutch pedal it would stop and we were back to the same situation. It wouldn't release on it's own accord.

Thinking it was a problem with the hydraulic pedal system, I replaced the clutch master cylinder and bled the slave cylinder, but this didn't fix the issue at all. I disconnected the clutch linkage from the slave cylinder to see if maybe the slave cylinder wasn't returning, but the thrust bearing still stuck against the clutch.

I've greased the zerk fitting on the clutch arm, shot penetrating oil into the thrust bearing, it's still behaving badly. I can move the clutch arm back to resting position with some light hammer blows when the linkage to the slave cylinder is apart. It seems to be not quite as stuck as it was when I started, but I'm still not back to having a working clutch.

Any ideas? Do I just need to keep working the clutch arm for a few more hours until it frees up? The tractor only has 1100 hrs on it. Obviously I really don't want to split it.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back