• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5245 Power Loss

dale_keever

Level 2
First name
Dale Keever
After using a 6' cutter for about 30 minutes the engine starts losing power and stalls out with any load. It seems when the engine gets hot it stalls out but I can't find the reason, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi , check fuel lines, tank cap,sediment bowl ,lift pump gauze etc and when did you last change the filters ? ,
sounds like fuel starvation to me .
does it start easily ? and what about after its stalled ,will it start again easily ? . :)
thanks martin

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply, has new fuel filter, bowl is clean, etc., it starts fine but loses power after running for awhile. I thought air might be getting into the injectors but don't see how. Does this tractor have a governor and if so could that cause the problem?
Thanks, Dale

If it stops without any black smoke then I would suggest it's a fuel problem. Check the fuel tank cap vent first. When the engine stops, slacken the cap and if it hisses then the vent is blocked causing a partial vacuum in the tank which will lead to fuel starvation.
If it stops with black smoke you may have a more serious internal engine problem.
The governor is built into the end of the fuel pump nearest the cab and if your tractor starts OK and runs normally then it's unlikely to be the cause of your problem

Fuel cap is an excellent suggestion to check. Also, I have a 3340 and I don't know if your set-up the same. However, my lift pump will stick sometimes ( I need to order a new one). This will cause my tactor to lose power and sometimes stall. Sometimes it will start right back up and other times I have to prime it. Or even remove it and get it losened up.

Just another suggestion, check lift pump (not injection pump).

on my 3340 it is attached to the hand primer. Left side of engine (as you sit in seat).

It doesn't have another name as far as I know.

Thanks for the suggestions, on my 5245 next to fuel strainer bowl and forward of the hand fuel pump is a compressor for tires (?). In the Operator's Manual there is no mention of this compressor or how it works. The 5245 setup may not be the same as the 3340 or is this the same as the lift pump?

The hand pump (primer) is attached physically to the lift pump. The lift pump is very small. I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

Doug, I have ordered a new lift pump as air keeps getting into the fuel causing it to lose power and sometimes die. This keeps getting worse and now I have to bleed the air from the injectors before it will start up again. If there is an air leak somewhere I can't find it so hopefully the new pump will cure the problem. Thanks for the help and picture, I will let you know when the problem is solved.

Replaced the lift pump but did not help . All the lines have been replaced except the fuel line from the tank. Removed the fuel tank and found the line was crimped a couple of inches past where it connects to the tank. The fuel line was compressed against the tractor frame and after 1400 hours must have finally weakened. To prevent this from recurring we added spacers to the bolts holding the fuel tank. Thanks again for all the suggestions as it was fuel starvation that caused the problem.

I have had a similar problem with my 3340, power loss on my tractor comes from loss of fuel, thought I had a air leak from the tank to the pump, (kept seeing the factory sediment bowl half full of air and fuel) replace the lines, thought my pump was failing, removed the pusher rod and reinstalled the pump, and replaced the pumping unit with an electric unit, mounted a sediment bowl and new electric pump at the front of the tractor near the air cleaner, ran all steel lines except for couplings, still getting a air bubble in the sediment bowl after tractor has been shut down for 10 min. but do not have any loss of fuel when running, assuming the sediment bowl is defective and when tractor is shut down, the fuel supply line wants to back drain into tank creating a vacuum on the sediment bowl and sucking air in, I am eliminating the sediment bowl and replacing with large canistor style inline fuel filter.

Have been plagued with this problem for several years, it comes and goes, ususlly comes when I need the tractor the most.

Hope some of this information is helpful.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back