• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

6211 goes harrowing

mwburns

Level 2
First name
mwburns
First time at work today with a spot of harrowing:D,it was going well, (after all the trouble in previous posts) ,went down the hill turned at the bottom and went up ,thats where it started to go a bit wrong:eek: , the smoke was black all the way to the top ,i couldnt see behind me ,did this sevrel times and almost finished the padock when i noticed the ram had escaped and was butting my wifes horses :eek:,left the tractor and ran after him , had a few words with him and put him back 69) , not my fault i was having so much fun with my new toy i didnt notice,anyway when i got back she was running lovely clean as a whistle on tick over ,must have done a bit of good all that hard work , what do you think is causing all this smoke ????? , filters?? any help would be great .
thanks martin

Probably one of 2 reasons, either a blocked air filter, or more likely, someone has opened up the injector pump and the engine is getting more fuel than it can burn properly. remedy is to adjust the pump so that there is just a haze of smoke on full load.
Dave

Hi , thanks for the reply dave , the air filter has been cleaned out already , but the fuel filters have not been changed for years , everything else has been cleaned and changed , its only when put under load that it smokes , and it reves up and down on its own , from tickover to about 1000 rmp and then down again is this normal for a 5501 engine ? ,how do you adjust the pump??.
thanks martin

Fuel filters will not make any difference, you are getting too much fuel, not too little.
Have you checked the oil in the injector pump governor ?
there is a level plug about 1/4 the way up the housing and a drain at the bottom, drain out any old oil and replace with engine oil to the level, that may stop the hunting.
I'm not sure which pump you have, but if its one with the excess fuel button then the max fuel is controlled by the locknut on the excess fuel button housing and by screwing the excess fuel button housing into the pump to reduce fuel.
If I've got this wrong I expect Mike to correct me, it's years since I had anything to do with a pump on a 55 series !!
I suppose its not a pneumatic governor is it ? If so then the excess fuel still applies, but the hunting may be caused by an air leak on the pipe from the manifold, or a split diaphragm if its got one or a leaky air piston.
probably not over helpful !
Dave

id say oil in the injector pump for the hunting. the smoke well haha my 3545 bellows it out wen under load. up hill in 4th high she plumes!!!

matthew

Thanks for the advice , the pump had no oil in there at all :eek: , but it didnt stop the hunting :(, there is however air bubles in the plastic conectors to the manifold and the pipe is loose at the manifold , do i need this heater thing ??? or could i remove it altogether untill i can get new parts ? , the injector pump still has the seal on its exess fuel button so i dont think that it could have been adjusted , if not what else could cause the smoke , more help please dave ( ps dave if u see wilf ,MAN U CUP FINAL :p)
thanks martin

Check your injectors: a dripping (instead of spraying) injector will not enable fuel to get in contact with air during the short combustion time. It has the same effect as excess fuel: black smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back