• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

8145 power steering and radiator problem

marty007

Level 2
First name
marty007
Hi All, Just after coming across your forum and delighted to have signed up and be a part of it. I will help out with any questions that i may be able to offer help on in future !

My problem at the moment and which I would be very grateful with any advise on is

1. when the tractor is standing still the power steering is nearly impossible to turn right or left, its like there is no assist from the pump atall but then sometimes it turns with ease to one side but not the other side , i have replace the 4 bearings in the front axle that the axle rotates on , but still the same, anyone come across this problem before ?

2. second prob is that the radiator is leaking in a few places and and the casing had come appart in places and looks beyond repair. A new one from zetor is priced at over 500 euros because im told its extra large capacity at top of it unlike other radiator fitted to similar zetors that are slimmer, can the slimmer type rad which is nearly half the price be fitted to this instead ?

many thanks in advance for any advise anyone can give , much appreciated

marty :)

i could write a book on trying to improve steering comfort on 4wd crystals,spend alot of money in past,some to no avail&some succcess,
first thing is ,does the tractor have power steering or hydrostatic ? because i can give different answers to suit.

One tip from a local contractor, who had a lot of these over the years: Dont ever try to rebuild a power assisted steering housing, as it will cost about 1200 euro: For the same price you can swap over to fully hydrostatic orbitrol steering.

One tip from a local contractor, who had a lot of these over the years: Dont ever try to rebuild a power assisted steering housing, as it will cost about 1200 euro: For the same price you can swap over to fully hydrostatic orbitrol steering.

i wish i knew this back in 1994 would have saved me so mush time&money:

If you have a traditional power steering, I may have a tip: on my 5711, the power steering was exactly like you describe. In my power steering oil tank, the return oil were coming in to the tank in an odd pulsating way and not a steady stream as it is supposed to do. The problem was the shaft seal on the hydraulic pump and the pump were sucking in air (and also leaking ATF into the engine). Easy and cheap repair :cool:

Hi Lads, many thanks for yer replies :)

Diy Farmer - its the old power steering unit type with the big unit in the front axle unfortunately, any advise on possible prob ?

Renze - did you get one converted to the hydrostatic type before ? if so is there much involved and wer the parts new or secondhand ?

SveinHa - I will check the tank to see is there is any air getting into the the system , i was also thinking of attaching an oil pressure gauge to the exit of this thank to see is the pump giving correct pressure, do you have any idea of the correct pressure ? also i think there is a pressure relief valve in this tank, can it be adjusted to give more pressure to steering ?

one again many thanks for all your help lads, much appreciated

marty :)

When you don't use any force on the steering wheel, there are close to zero pressure, the oil is only circulating in the whole system. When applying force to the steering wheel, the pressure builds up, I don't know the Zetor specs but something like 60-70 bar is quite common.

On my 5711, there are an overpressure valve in the outlet of the pump which may be adjusted using shims.

The oil return is in the top of the tank and you see it easily when removing the filler cap and return filter/sieve. You should see a steady stream without any air/bubbles/foam. If you are using ATF (red oil) and it is coloured pink, it contains lots of air. No problem, you just have to find the air leak;)

heres my checklist from a job i did on a 87/8145c/w tanco loader.when it was stationery it was like the wheels were welded.so i started 1,fit new steering oil.2,change filter.3,a new valve in tank,4 new pump.5,steering unit completey reconed(400E) .still no improvement,so i fitted new valve uint the silver part on the unit (800E).after all that next to no change.finally i went to a scrapyard &swopped my recon unit,for a hydrosatic one off a 12145,after that i only needed my little finger to turn.so unless yours has a fault,i have no real good news .

tks for replys lads, well by the sound of things best option is to try and find a complete hydrostatic system off a scrapped tractor and replace the older system in mine ,

is there much work/modification involved in this and does anyone know where there might be a unit for sale ?

marty:)

Yoy have to dismount the radiator and old steering unit. then you must asemble bracet and orbitrol where the old steering unit was,and weld a bracket to the front axle for the steering cylinder.
I have not done this myself yet,but i got the info from my supplier of parts. I think a new complete orbitrol kit cost about 800euro

to fit the hydro unit lift off rad,open the bolts 3 from&1underneath ,open steering shaft &open the pipes,on the tractor i had,i mounted the orbit unit on the inside of frame on side of engine between compressor&starter,&bring up pipes to steering unit.there are 2 different types of hydro units,1 like this&1like a standard unit but with a ram on the axle,when i did my job every scrapyard in the country had dozens of zetors in their yards,nowadays most have been exported .

Dear marty 007,
Send me a private message to ztszetorcd@hotmail.com and I will supply you with details INFO about how to change old assisted steering unit into hydrostatic ORBITROL one. I have photos and diagrams how to do it and technical advise.
Refering the radiator let me know the exactly type of the radiator mounted in your tractor, I think it could be possible to find a cheaper one.
Expecting your news , I remain.
Best regards

----Hi I got the old unit in an 8011 converted to hydro static by getting the following done, remove the unit from the tractor, remove the cone assembly where the steering rod goes in ,fit a plate the same as the plate on the front of the unit. Fit a suitable danfoss unit.Oil supply and return come from the power steering tank to the danfoss unit and outlet and inlet pipes go to the plates front and back on the steering unit where the steel pipe goes in. I got the parts stripped off the steering by my local ursus dealer and he also fitted new seals at the same time.Very light steering after that.

yes i seen this danfos conversion during the week in another 8145, i solved the poor steering problem by fitting a stronger spring to the pressure valve that is in the power steering fluid tank. when i checked it first the system was only producing 70bar with spring adjusted as much as possible, i went and found a stronger spring and then set it to 100bar and now the steering is far better :)

i have another problem with the loader not being able to lift a bale but have put that on a new post to keep things simpler so if yee have any advise on that it would be much appreciated

many thanks for all your help lads :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back