• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

9641 cold start

w5ccb

Level 2
First name
Craig_bothwell
My forterra has been difficult to start in the colder weather. I have been replacing glow plugs in the forterra and they are all now working. I was wondering what the single wire does that goes into the fuel pump. I assume it is a valve to use extra fuel when starting. My question is where does the wire come from and what powers this. I have tried powering the wire from a direct feed and it seems to start easier.

Thanks

I know that Bosch has a pump where the cold start goes on via a solonoid. Some tractors power it via a thermostat that will say it goes on if the temerature is low in the startingmoment. Can it be the same on Yours and the thermostat is broken.
Hazze

the wire is for the EGR valve it has nothing to do with the cold start. have you checked the glow relay and fuse ? i always start with throttle on full to ease starting but let go just as it fires up.

Checked the wire on my proxima this morning as this has the same setup, i disconnected the wire and it was very difficult to start. The forterra is a 2007 plate and i didnt think it had egr?? Anyway when turning the ignition over i was getting around 8 volts from this wire, to the pump, is this functioning correctly? I get no power through the wire at any other point, when powering the wire manually it sounds as if the solenoid is working.

Sorry also took each plug out and powered from the loom and they are now working, getting 12 v at the plugs, and the relay is functioning, still a bit of turning to get it fired

I know that Bosch has a pump where the cold start goes on via a solonoid. Some tractors power it via a thermostat that will say it goes on if the temerature is low in the startingmoment. Can it be the same on Yours and the thermostat is broken.
Hazze

That was my thought, any idea where the thermostat is located?, sorry for the numerous replies trying to do this on the phone!

No I do not know where the thermostat is however I belive it messuring the water temperatur. I will check and see if I can find out. Motorpal has also a pump with a solonoid coldstart as well as a bimetal operated one, exactly as Bosch.
Hazze

The 2007 has EGR my 2005 11441 had egr as well thats how i know the wire to the pump is for egr valve, it measures diesel output and adjusts egr valve after that. egr is shit plumb it off if you can ;) i did :)

I might be wrong about the coldstart unit. There is a solonoid conected to a "overpressure controller" sitting above the regulating house at the injection pump. Is that what you mean is conected to the EGR ? Is the coldstart unit mechanicly engaged?
Zetor is not a good cold starter or..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhLNdm-4mrE
Hazze

zetor is a very good cold starter. the UR1 have automatic cold start from january 1985 and are in no need of glow plugs. Im not shure about the UR3 engines has this maybe renze knows? if the glow plugs are good and you have enough power it should be easy to start. an by the way it should be only one electric wire that goes to the fuelpump and thats the one for EGR.

Down to say minus 5/8 deg it starts however minus 15/25 or even 35 is different. Why has Zetor than equip some markets with either a flame glow plug in the manifold or a glow plug in each cylinder. Forterra use both system but for which markets I do not know. Using an hour blockheating and the problem is gone. The flame glow plug system is very good. My 4340 will be rebuilt during the summer to this system. I have bought a conversion kit.
Hazze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back