• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

9641 poor starter

w5ccb

Level 2
First name
Craig_bothwell
I am having bother starting my 9641 forterra on cold morning, Removed each glow plug and each is powering up correctly, Got 12volt at each glow plug lead, Also the tractor is very down on power when cold and has no where near as much power as the proxima with the same engine and hp, Any ideas??

Hi,

They're normally good starters if the glow plugs are operating. You're sure they timer/relay is operating correctly and staying on for a couple of minutes after it has started ?? If it's okay, what smoke are you getting when it's trying to start ?
For power loss - check the jubilee clips on the rubber connecting pipe between the turbo and the pipe across to the inlet manifold. I assume you've checked the obvious ones - fuel filter and air filter ? If all is well here you need to be checking the injection pump timing is okay as I have known timing gear idler problems.

Mike

Cheers for the reply, tried all the above, had the exhaust and air cleaner off to check the plugs, and refitted jubilee clips, done the tappets when everything was off, changed fuel filter and put back together, still poor on power but will see how it starts tomorrow morning, struggles to start from 3 degrees celcius below, absolute nuisance!!

Tried starting this morning, no better, theres white smoke starting after 6 or 7 turns the engine coughs into life, But it soon clears when it starts, struggles to reach 40k on a slight rise when cold, think trying the injectors is the next step??

Hi,

Change the non return valve on the fuel line. It screws into the fitting which connects the leak-off pipe to the pump. I's a 17mm headed banjo with a 12/13mm bolt in the centre. It's there to keep the chamber in the pump full of diesel. You should have one on your Proxima so try a swap. I have had this problem on one and the valve cured it.

Mike

You MAY have an air leak in the diesel system. If you replace the return pipe with a transparent hose, you would easily see if there are air in the diesel. It is easy to do and may eliminate some problems. There should be absolutely NO air in the return pipe when the engine is running.

thanks for all the replies, i have not been on here in a while so i thought i would give you an update, the symptoms are all still occuring, but on the odd morning the tractor will fire up with half a turn of the starter, i replaced the non return banjos as i damaged the line trying to get the glow plugs out, everything else seems to be in order, still poor on power compared to the proxima of the same hp but i always put that down to the tractor having 38s on the back.

Cheers again

Also meant to ask, does the pump have a cold start mode by allowing more fuel to the injectors like the older tractors?

Hi,

The coldstart on the pump may be operated on full throttle but I can't remember. It also depends on the age of your tractor as the newer ones have a solenoid mounted on the side of the pump towards the top/rear. These play up sometimes when oil gets behind the piston. Your white smoke is unburnt diesel, which may be a sign of poor compression . It could be worth having the compression pressures checked.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back