• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Help 3320

tgk24w

Level 2
First name
tgk24w
Have 95 3320 that finally got diesel to prime and I used ether once and got it to fire. Then started acting like weak battery. Got new battery, checked starter, cleaned battery terminals, and still acts like weak battery or engine putting load on starter. What should I do?

Have you also double checked/ tightened/ cleaned where battery strap earth is bolted to chassis?

I plan on doing that today. Oy problem I see is that it seemed to turn over fairly easy prior to using ether. Now it seems as if engine is in a bind. I am not optimistic it is ground but I will try it.

too much ether can blow the tips off your injectors. i dont like ether at all.

Unlikely the Ether made the engine tight,

Questions:
1. Did you fully charge the new battery?, they are never fully charged when you buy them.

What size battery did you get? .... needs to be at least 500CCA

2. If the engine had not run for a long time (more than 12 months) the oil would have drained off the rings, and open valve seats would have light rust on them and it would have had very low compression , ie spin over easily, but may not start without ether.
now that it has had a run the rings and valves will be sealing better and it will have much higher compression...... you should not need ether now.

Could be faulty starter, but first check battery voltage and amperage during cranking.
Check voltage at starter and at battery.
if there is more than 2 volts loss in the cables you have a problem.

If it is drawing more than 400Amps you have a problem.

if the battery voltage drops below 10 during cranking, the battery is too small/weak
(Note at 9V the Amps will be up over 300-400, weak batteries cook starter-motors!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back