• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Help 7245 hydraulics grinding when put into gear!

acraten

Level 2
First name
wvzetor
What I have is a 7245 with a cab. I have not been able to put the hydraulics from neutral to pto and pump, or ground speed or hydraulics. I have to look, all the way back is ground speed, then neutral, pto + pump, pump.

To the left of my seat I have the e-brake, and pto lever. I pull that up pto lever and try to shift into one of those three positions and all I get is grinding noise.

Now when I turn the tractor off I can shift it into say pto+pump gear and the tractor starts up and it works. This is not ideal in my situation as I am running plows, tillers, and other equipment.

The mechanic at the shop said it could be a linkage issue, and said I will have to split the tractor. No bueno. He didn't really know anyway just guessing. Ive been on this forum a lot and had to get a new login, lost my old one. I have seen posts about there is linkage that can be tightened or loosen to help that pto lever work the way it should. anyone have pictures of what rods I need to look at? Also I've noticed when I am in ground speed, my pto is spinning and even when just the pump is on, the pto is spinning. What Is wrong here? I live in West Virginia, anyone know anyone that can help solve this problem. I am able to do most work on tractor but can not be splitting tractors and clutches. I do have good tractor mechanics in our community. Just need to tell them what the deal is.

Besides that, this tractor runs great, leaks a little hydraulic oil and oil around the seals but don't all old tractors do....

Thank you!

When you pull the pto lever does it feel like there is some resistance or is it really easy to pull up? Should feel like your pulling against springs if its similar to mine. I have a 5711 so I'm not sure how similar it is. Also pto does spin when in other ranges but would stop if you attached an implement so not actually driving. I think this is normal as mine also does it.

Yes there feels to be resistance when I pull up on the pto lever.

To the left of my seat I have the e-brake, and pto lever. I pull that up pto lever and try to shift into one of those three positions and all I get is grinding noise.

Now when I turn the tractor off I can shift it into say pto+pump gear and the tractor starts up and it works. This is not ideal in my situation as I am running plows, tillers, and other equipment.
Thank you!

Firstly you shouldn't be selecting the PTO by stopping the engine, so the hand clutch lever on the left needs to adjusted, no need to split the tractor, You can tighten up the cable first as it's not stopping the clutch and that's why it's grinding.

Also your PTO might stay spinning most of the time but there should be no power in it. Unless you put a stake under it when its spinning and it's cut to bits, it is normal.

Thanks I will try to tighten and see if that works. Is there a certain distance?

Give the nut a few turns and try it again, you be able to lift the hand clutch and slide up the pto lever without any hassle.

On a separate note, I see you call your handbrake lever, an "E- brake" what do you mean? you can hardly be calling it an emergency brake?. A hand brake lever is an essential item on the tractor and not just for use in an emergency.

Yes your right, it should be called hand brake. Its not an emergency brake. I only use the hand brake when I have it parked on a hill. Is there any other uses besides that? Sometimes I get backed up to the implement and I need there tractor to stay where it is and Ill pull it up to make sure it doesn't creep back.

You should be using the hand brake every time you leave the cab, either parking or to attach an implement, whether the engine is running or not. All the new Zetors like my HSX has a siren going off and a warning sign on the dash if raise off the seat without pulling up hand brake, can be annoying sometimes but it's all about safety. Don't be depending on parking the tractor in gear as a brake if anything happened and slipped out of gear or you have children playing on the tractor, the last you'd want is for it to roll my itself.

The PTO adjustment should be done on the short adjusting rod at the front of the linkage before adjusting the cable. It has a r/h and l/h thread and should have a couple of mm of play.
Mike

I will tried both ways. I loosen it. Didn't work. I started to tighten it still didn't work. I might have tightened it too much or not enough I will try again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back