• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Noisy centrifugal oil cleaner

arctic003

Level 2
First name
Arctic003
Hi everyone

Today I did something that I rarely do - operate the tractor without wearing earmuffs. That of course is a bad thing but it did enable me to hear something I'd missed before.

While I was coupling up my forage harvester I noticed a grinding noise coming from the centrifugal oil cleaner. Putting my hand on the casing I could feel that there was some mechanical contact going on inside.

On investigation, the top surfaces of the two oil jets on the top of the rotator have been ground flat against the top of the inside of the cover bowl. While the engine is stationary there is clearance here; I can only assume that the rotor is somehow lifting up on its vertical axle when rotating.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance

J-P

Try checking to see if the cleaner is balanced, take the cover off. look for a vertical stright mark on the top and bottom halfs of oil filter. the marks should be on side of top and bottom filter.[flash=http://www.website.com/flashfile,width,height][flash=http://www.website.com/flashfile,width,height]

Hmmm - as you have the balance marks lined up is there any possibility that you ommitted a spacer on the rotor assembly or that the nut on top of the rotor is loose?

[glow=green,3]TomZ[/]

Hi Tom

I don't think so; mine appears to be like the drawing in the manual - I can't see anything there that would stop the rotator rising if it wanted to. As far as I can tell, the rotator unit just drops onto the shaft with nothing to actually hold it down.

I'll check it out a bit more today and report back...

Cheers!

J-P

I clean mine regularly and think the design is great work of reuseable engineering. I am always surprised by how clean/clear my oil is. I wish my GM 6.5TD had an oil cleaning unit like this instead of a paper filter.

Just a thought here: maybe one of the orifices on the unit or shaft is plugged and oil pressure from the pump is filling the spin unit and as it cannot get out properly it is being forced up the shaft by the oil pressure. Run a small wire/pressurized air through all of the orifices and make sure there are no obstructions.

Good Luck.

Hi Saskatchewan I think you may have been right. Why didn't I think of that :mad:

The orifices on the shaft are huge - it would take something the size of a horse's bum to block those but I think that one of the two jets may well have been obstructed. Anyway I gave the rotor a good wash out with petrol and blew them clear - they are definately open now. AND the filter is now quiet and there are no obvious problems.

Yes, cleaning the oil that way is an excellent idea - I believe some of the Skoda cars used the same system? I don't suppose the paper filter manufacturers like it much though!

Many thanks

J-P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back