• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Normal noise? (Zetor 6945)

Finland arctic003

Level 1
First name
Arctic003
Hello again everyone

Yesterday I made a loooong road trip with our 6945 to collect some round bales. By long, I mean two hours and fifty minutes in each direction!

On the trip I noticed a couple of things that gave me cause for mild concern... firstly I noticed that once the tractor had been running for about half an hour, the oil pressure went down to about 2 or a bit less (still over 2 anyway). Normally working around the yard it stays around 3 or so. The oil is 15-40 multigrade. Is this enough?

Secondly, I had a couple of _really_ slippery hills - black ice - to deal with and I used the four-wheel drive for these. At road speeds I notice that there is a noticable whine coming from the gearbox when 4wd is engaged. Do they all do this? This whine isn't really noticable doing field work in 4wd, or doing road work in 2wd.

Thirdly... do I worry too much?! ;)

With thanks

Arctic003
Finland

Its normal that 4wd keep some noise when it is engaged. It should not to use when driving with 4th or 5th gears connected, but offcourse it is more safety when it is difficult weather.

I have driven a lot with 4wd engaged when Im pulling heavy lumber trailer (+hydraulic lumber lifter on the tractor with ice chains on the all tyres) and the noise is huge when front tyres are weared over 60%:( I did open the 4wd output gear under the gearbox (this is plase where the noise comes) and the hardened surface of the teeths were dissapered! Because I didnt have those gears as spareparts on my shelf I put the old ones back! Since my zetor has been travellind about 1500 hours and tomorrow it will be on the road again to pulling lumbers to our saw:cool:

Engine oil..... It is good SAE class for zetor engine. Should be working up to 40 degrees (celsius)

Most 4wd's howl when 4wd is engaged at road speeds.
The oil pressure, when we are iriigating in the summer, the 6718 driving a water pump, the oil pressure keeps at 2 bar. When it idles, it can drop to about 0.5 bar. Our solution is to give a higher idle speed ehen the engine is very hot.

2 bar seems to be normal working pressure for a hot engine.

Thanks for your replies folks!

It looks like I do worry too much doesn't it!

I'm going to have to look into getting some chains too I think. Today it isn't too bad outside but generally speaking where I live, South Eastern Finland, there is more than a foot of snow by this time of year.

By the way, I'm very glad that we went for a 4wd tractor. I even managed some field work yesterday that would have been totally impossible without 4wd.

Arctic003

Any snow this time? Here in southern Finland is nothing! Not even cold so much the earth would be freezed properly!

Nope, no snow at all. Must be Global Warming I suppose.

Here it is so dark outside that you can't see your hand at arm's length!

I've just checked the thermometer, it's -10C outside so perhaps the winter is going to start soon...

After three: One - two - three:

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas,
just like the ones we used to know
so we can see where we are going after 2.30 pm
and the day feels longer than four hours..."

doesn't really fit the music does it :sneaky:

Arctic003

Do not worry too much about the whine it is just your Zetor talking to you;) All 4wd tractors howl on the road with 4wd engaged because unlike a Land Rover Defender or Range Rover they do not have a centre differential in the gear box to allow the front and rear wheels to rotate at different speeds in relation to each other.Thus the front wheels are driven slightly faster than the rear wheels so that in the field the excess torque is spun off.If this did not happen and the front wheels were slower than the rears then it would load the transmission with torque and wear out the the gearbox.So it is best not to use 4wd for long periods or at high speed on the road except for on ice or snow.We must also be careful when carrying a heavy load on a front end loader as if the tyres are too soft this makes their rolling radius smaller and loads up the gearbox aswell.New tyres on the back and bald ones on the front is also not good for the same reason.

Yeah, my fronts are worn a fair bit more than the rear tyres.

I suspect that the previous owner has been using it on the road in 4wd.

I need to pick up another trailer load of round bales, but I'm hoping that I can leave it until late enough in the spring for the roads to be safe again.

One good project for me this winter might be to extend my currently unused 12' long trailer to at least 25' so I'm not stuck with borrowing when I need a decent sized trailer. Also it should in theory cut down on the number of trips, if I can safely make the the trailer large enough.

Arctic003

One of my famous hobby is collecting silage bales around the village too. I would need a big bale trailer, but it is too expensive to buy and here is nobody so close that you could buy it together and split the costs. Now Im using normal trailer but it is safe to load max 8 silage bales on it.

By the way, I just came home from snow work round! It was rained about 6 to 8 cm snow at last night!

It Even Looks Like a WINTER! YEAH:D

If would be 20 years younger I would go and play with snow:D

P.S. Dont worry about your 5945 too much it is one stongest tractor ever built. Our first Zetor was 5945 and my father did drive about 4000 hours with it. It was mainly in forestry and industrial use and in 4000 hours we had to change only oils and one spin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing else, even the use was very hard!

Artic,

Re a few posts back...you said it was -10C.

In Ireland @ -10C the country stops working! Seriously. Cars crash, people freeze up - we just cannot cope. We had -15C a couple of years back and a lot of the plants in the gardens died.

Just goes to show how relative things are.

BTW a freeze in Ireland is a couple of degrees below zero, a "hard" frost would be -5C!

We are having an unseasonably mild winter this year.

[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

I think in Ireland, it's the sea that flattens out any temperature extremities: Hundreds of millions tons of sea water at 17C will cool down the air in summer, and heaten it in winter.:D

You are lucky guys there in middel Europe! Last winter here was long time over 25 degrees cold. Many days it was over 35 degrees cold! And still we needed to make our works and that means we had to start tractors and other machines about 3 times a day! It is hard game! Using antifreeze liquids to mixed with fuel and ether sprayed to engine air filter.

Think! One cold start like that is same as about 100 hours driving with warm engine! It is the reason why we are driving only about 6000 to 10 000 hour before totally engine damage! What about transmission and hydraulics?????

Building a warm sheld? Well, possible for those who can bring their machines home when its evening but not solution for everybody.

But still, I dont wan leave winter and travell to Canarian islands. I like the cold, unless its not too cold:D And summer must be warm, offcourse:cool:

Nice winter for everybody! (or summer)

Yes, Tom, Markku is absolutely right.

Temperatures of -35C are very usual here in the winter... In fact I can remember one morning four or five years back our thermometer registered -50C. The seats of my car were like rocks to sit on. The car started (we had a diesel Shogun / Pajero back then) but of course I had had the block heater plugged in for many hours. The gearbox was so stiff that the engine kept stalling out whenever I took my foot off the clutch. Eventually I got moving but I couldn't change out of second gear for a long time. The steering was barely operable at first too. The amazing thing is that rubber seals, gaiters etc can just about survive this treatment - I would have thought that they would just have shattered.

The roads are very slippery in winter but we do use special tyres. Most people use the variety with metal studs, but I just have plain rubber snow tyres on mine - not so good on ice. The worst is in the spring when the layer of snow covering the roads goes through a cycle of melting and re-freezing. That can make a kind of ice-rink with a thin layer of water on top that's truly difficult to drive on!

Funnily enough the colder the weather is the less slippery the roads seem to be. It's especially bad when the temperature changes quickly or when it's around 0C.

To get this back (slightly) to Zetor things I've just been trying to make some mirror arms for my 6945. I had to come in to un-freeze my hands and got side-tracked by the computer!

Now it seems to be snowing sideways... perhaps I should go and put the horses in...

Arctic003

Artic and Markku,

You must have thin blood to keep going at -35C! When I was 20 years younger, I spent a winter in St. Paul/Minnesota (Twin Cities) working when it was -30F. That's when I learned to breath in through my nose!!!

I'd be interested to see whether you suffer as much from "the common cold" as a lot of people do in Ireland - my guess is that you don't. The cold weather has to be a healthier envrironment.

We Irish have an natural antifreeze system - we drink Guinness to maintain our blood/alcohol level at he appropriate antifreeze level[/] :D

Happy Christmas,

[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

Hi

I'd be interested to see whether you suffer as much from "the common cold" as a lot of people do in Ireland - my guess is that you don't. The cold weather has to be a healthier envrironment.

Well, there is bad 'flu going around here at the moment! But, as far as the common cold goes, it is common here too. But my feeling is that it is people who spend a lot of their time indoors that get the most colds. Outdoor folk like us are generally healthier :)

The favourite 'antifreeze' here is a kind of vodka called Koskenkorva. The off-licences sell gallons of it at this time of the year (and... um... also during the rest of the year ;))!

You might be interested to know that Guiness has a certain following here too, and is available both on tap and in widget cans.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Arctic003

I usually drink just beer by Freddy Heineken, or Jagermeister.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back