• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Oil coming out exhaust

bignikki

Level 2
First name
nikki grant
Hi have just got a 57/11.
On one of the cylinders there is oil coming out it and burning off in the exhaust. Where should I start to find out what's wrong? Ta.

head gasket or worn valve guides. If it was the piston rings it would blow gas out of the crankcase breather, not end up in the exhaust.

Ok Ta.
So then I'd take the head off and if the guide has a lot of play in it I would have to get an insert put in it? Or would I be looking at getting another head?

You can tap the valve guide out with a socket wrench. Just pick the right size socket to tap it out, and tap another one in undamaged.

Hi

Just wondering how you know it's just one cylinder ? If it's leaking out at the exhaust manifold gasket you may find the bolts are loose. These engines tend to be a bit oily if you're not working them very hard. A good half day on a cultivator would do it good.

Mike

Thanks
I can see that it is coming from one head coz it's leaking out from the gasket there.
I have been hoping that it may sort its self out after it has been worked hard as it has been sitting unused for years, mabe only started once in a while. Though it is chucking oil out.
I'm in no rush to start taking it to bits :sneaky:
I'm just seeing what my options are.
My wee 35/45 has just packed up (4 broken teeth in gearbox)so I'm not short of mechanics to be getting on with!
Nikki.

Hi Renze What is the difference between the 57/11 and the 57/18?
Apart from yours is repainted and shiny;)

5718 has a factory cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back