• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Power Steering - Drain or not to drain?

llandilo

Level 1
First name
Rob
I have a new (to me) 1990 6245 and not knowing its maintenance history I am changing all the oils and filters. In regard to the power steering, the tractor steers very well so should I leave this alone or drain it? Is there a filter to be changed, and where should I drain it from please?

There is a plug on the bottom of the canister.
Changing might be good if it never was done since 1990.

ATF 2 is the best fluid for the power steering. ISO VG 21 is extremely thin, therefor un common, ATF is widely available, and keeps nearly the same viscosity at either low or high temperature

I have a new (to me) 1990 6245 and not knowing its maintenance history I am changing all the oils and filters. In regard to the power steering, the tractor steers very well so should I leave this alone or drain it? Is there a filter to be changed, and where should I drain it from please?

the filter is inside the oil reservoir. you must take the top of to get it out.

Thank you Renze and Forterra 11441, - I have found the drain screw and ordered a new filter. I was going to use SUTO 10-30 but will take your advice and use ATF 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back