• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

pto not stopping

Had the pto pack out today, could see nothing wrong. took it to the dealer, we dismantled it, checked all ports, discs brakes, the lot, could see nothing wrong. As a precaution we put one less plate in when reassembling, but not convinced it will make any difference. Wont find out for a day or two as I have the top housing off also.

When you took it apart did you press the shaft out of the front housing ? this is often missed, there are 2 rings with the ends hooked together which look like piston rings inside and they have been known to break.

This is bugging me now.
All re-built. PTO still not stopping. If I stop it with a fence post it stays stopped. If I put it in nuetral via lever under the seat, stops and brake is so strong I can not turn shaft. when engine is stopped I can turn shaft easly.
This leads me to think that when I dissengage at steering wheel, brake is being applied, clutch pack is not fully dissengaging.
Could oil not be released from pack? But PTO turns when starting engine from cold?

I'm confused, and this aint just impractical, it's a saftey issue also.

Grrrrr.

its like your tractors torque pumps got a problem,as i said here before you can go around for upto 6months with the pto going &still be fine on the splitter.it sounds so like the 8045 i had,the pto was going all the time i tried useing a stake too,then i was on the road driving along & there was a big jerk&hi/lo was gone also you say about ther pto turning when starting,this happens to all older independent zetors,if you had something light on (hayturner)it would fly around for awhile after starting.

can the torque pump be accessed through the inspection plate on the right side of gearbox. the manual i bought says it can (a cd version) but the threads on this site say the tractor needs split at gearbox.

i can`t answer you that, the tractors i did work on in the past were all split in front of gearbox, the pump is on the bell housing.the old man that worked on my fathers tractors worked on all types of zetors&ursus,since the 1970`s,he never tried doing one for us any other way.

looks like you have a problem ...!!!!..when you reasembled the pack into the back end did you undo the feed pipes for the clutch and brake and use the tool that blocks the holes to stop the rubber rings from clipping bits out of them as you pushed the pack in ......because a lot of the time when i had problems with packs its the rings being damaged as you insert the pack letting oil bleed back into the backend ...the only real way of testing the presure is to us a tee and put between the back end and the pipe and test one at a time ...if the pressure drops then its leaking ..

No I didn't disconect or use a special tool , but the brake was not working before I disassembled and rings were perfect on inspection, so I think the problem lies somwhere else, probably the pump. I put the floors back in today and am going to hook up the hedgecutter and see if it works when warm.

Thanks for advice.

All good when the oil warmed up, thank goodness.
Thanks to all for the advice and support.

Had the torque pump replaced and had to replace a drum which was letting oil past it, new clutch while I was there. now torque and pto drive strong, but brake still not fixed,. When we had pto pack out originally, took it to dealer to have it checked and he removed one disk as a precaution. Could this be my problem, or do the disks engauage drive, not brake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back