• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Replacing a Stub axle

dave56

Level 2
First name
Dave56
Decided to save a few quid and take on this Job myself. Just wondering what is the best practice has anyone here carried out this task before?. The tractor is a crystal. The reason the stub axle has to be changed is due to a previous owner welding the Nut. I currently have all bolts removed and have hit a stumbling block trying to get the stub axle to drop down out of the sleeve. Despite repeated blows with a sledge hammer the axle has only dropped about half an inch. To be honest it does not feel right to be taking a sledge to a tractor for any task. But I cannot understand why the axle refuses to drop. Help and advice would be much appreciated. By the way the Hub has to be replaced as well so that allows me to aim the sledge blows on to that. I know it sounds like a rough thing to do.

I've done this on my Crystal and it wasn't difficult.

Penetrating oil and time will help .

Could it be the two bolts in the end cap that's keeping the assembly together?

I am pretty sure I have all bolts removed. There are two bolts at the top of the spindle and 4 bolts at the heel where it connects to the steering rod assembly. There are three bolt holes on the inside of the heel which are just plugged with rubber dust caps.
I was just wondering is there ball bearings inside the assembly as after hitting the axle a few blows of the sledge, what appeared to be ball bearings came loose from the inside of the sleeve.

The reason the stub axle has to be changed is due to a previous owner welding the Nut.

Can you remove the bolt off the wheel bolt in any way ?

The bolts have a collar, with a lot of small splines. it is hammered into a round hole. You can probably hammer the bolt out, if you grind off the nut, then pound in a new one. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back