• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Save a life!!,maximum angle for a 5211?

ken_abbott

Level 1
First name
Ken Abbott
What is the maximum angle slope that a 5211 can attack without flipping over. We have just dug a pond with a 3/1 slope, or 33 degree banks. I need to get into it with the post hole digger. Can this be done safely?? and how to attack it. Going forward?, going backwards?.
Is sideways safe. Any ideas of ballasting?.
thanks, your saving a life that could be mine. If you feel this is marginal, I will ask that darn neighbor of mine to try it first.
thanks, Ken

Thats a fairly steep slope. If you can get at it from the bottom the safest way is to reverse up, but its doubtful whether a 2wd will. you would not be advised to go across the slope. so your only alternative will be to reverse down. Don't try and drive down.
I think that if you havn't much experience with slopes you would be advised to ask your neighbour to do it, who possibly will have a 4wd tractor.
Sorry to be negative.
Dave

3 to 1... thats not 33

I dont know how much exactly it will be because i dont have autocad on my computer at home anymore, but i assume my gut feeling would say its ok sideways... however i havent tried your hill yet..

Off course going only up- or downhill would be safest, just put the post hole digger close to the ground in case it tends to climb, and keep the driven rear wheels on the downside of the hill, to keep traction.

3 to 1... thats not 33

You are right Renze - a 1 in 3 slope is 1/3 = 0.3333.

Popping 0.3333 into Excel and giving it a whizz on the inverse tan function expressed in degrees =DEGREES(ATAN(0.3333)) = 18.4 degrees.

Steep but not too steep methinketh BUT as they used to say in Hill St. Blues - "Be careful out there".

Of course if you do really mean a 3 in 1 slope then you are looking at a 71 degree slope and the words vertical and straight down come to mind [smiley=scared]

18.4 degrees is do-able, but when the downside wheel hits a pothole.... whoops !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back