• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Steering trouble at my Zetor 7245

Matt Zetor

Level 1
First name
Matthew

Machinery:
Zetor 7245 1991
Hello.
I have a 7245 1991, the power steering is intermittently helping. Even when revved up it was slow to allow steering to turn.
What can this be and how can it be solved please? Also the front axle has some movement back and forth when wheels steer. How can I fix this? Bolts? Bushes?
Finally. This one has external wheel cylinders, one wheel is binding, when foot pedal is released the linkage below the cylinder is still compressed. I’m hoping it is not an internal issue and to do with master cylinder or pedal linkage??
I’m hoping someone can help me on these please, she is sound tractor otherwise. Thankyou.

Please first briefly introduce yourself and your Zetor here in words and pictures, thank you:
;) :)

This one has external wheel cylinders, one wheel is binding, when foot pedal is released the linkage below the cylinder is still compressed. I’m hoping it is not an internal issue and to do with master cylinder or pedal linkage??
So disc brakes?
Try the following: spray WD-40 or a comparable agent between the automatic brake plates after removing the plastic cover over the wheel brake cylinders.
The machine can hang for 2 reasons:
- Dirt/rust/wear on the tear track of the balls that push the machine apart
- or one or more broken automatic springs

The WD-40 provides enough lubrication so that the balls between the machine plates can move again. This works very well on my 7340 with disc brakes. The braking effect has not suffered from this so far.

If one or more machine springs are broken, unfortunately the only solution is to dismantle the disc brake in order to replace the springs (then all of them!) on the machine.

Also the front axle has some movement back and forth when wheels steer. How can I fix this? Bolts? Bushes?
That sounds like play on the center axle bolt. The play can (and must) be reduced with washers that can be installed in front of and/or behind the axle housing on the center axle bolt. To do this, the center axle bolt must be pulled.

the power steering
I assume you still have the old power steering with the power steering cylinder on the left side of the engine?
Please upload a few photos of it to clarify this.

Even when revved up it was slow to allow steering to turn.
What can this be and how can it be solved please?
This can have several causes:
- dirty oil filter in the steering oil container and/or
- defective pressure relief valve on the steering hydraulic pump and/or
- too much grease in the slide housing of the power steering cylinder and therefore limited travel distance and/or
- defective control slide seal in the power steering cylinder and/or
- Too much play in several joints of the steering and/or steering gear

Hello.
I have a 7245 1991, the power steering is intermittently helping. Even when revved up it was slow to allow steering to turn.
What can this be and how can it be solved please? Also the front axle has some movement back and forth when wheels steer. How can I fix this? Bolts? Bushes?
Finally. This one has external wheel cylinders, one wheel is binding, when foot pedal is released the linkage below the cylinder is still compressed. I’m hoping it is not an internal issue and to do with master cylinder or pedal linkage??
I’m hoping someone can help me on these please, she is sound tractor otherwise. Thankyou.

Regarding the movement front/back, I have "just" fixed (5 days ago) a very similar issue in my 7340 4x4, and such issue had also gave me trouble with the steering - because it ended up braking the screws which hold the hydraulic fluid hoses attached to the cylinder in axis.

Unfortunately I cannot explain it in English here, and now it's night so cannot make pictures, but will do that in a few hours and bring the photos to explain what was the problem and the red-neck way I solved it.

============

Early edit: basically, there are two parts in the shape of a half moon/bowl which hold the axis attached to the chassi. These rotating part is that connected to the 4x4 transmission axis. In my 7340, at least, the "half moon" is hold by two big screws in the "rear" part of the axis, whilst the front is hold by two nuts instead. The back screws were fully damaged, so I had to build a new, ridiculous support to hold the half-moon, and this new support is now attached at somewhere else on the side of the chassi.
(will bring pictures/video tomorrow).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back