• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

stuck clutch

ro6519

Level 2
First name
Bobby Robinson
3320 1995 ---parked since June 2012. slave cyl ok and with inspection plate removed I can see throwout bearings moving both engine and pto. Engine runs in neutral but gear grinds with clutch pedal depressed. I have rocked the tractor in 4th and 5th gear with another tractor but not successful. Haven't tried a heavy piece of equipment behind it yet. Not a lot of room and this would be dangerous in stopping it with the engine running. I've read other postings with this problem but other ideas are appreciated. Located in Southern USA.

I had forgotten to mention in my first post that I am new to this forum so hello everyone. In a last ditch effort to avoid splitting the tractor, I'm going to soak the clutch plate with kerosine. All components seem to be ok through the inspection window. I may have to drill a 1/2 inch hole forward of the inspection hole to soak it. I'll repeat the kerosine treatment tomorrow and try to break it loose. If successful, I will use brake cleaner to get rid of the kerosine. If not--------Let the fun begin.

I would actually try water first. Stick the hose down there and give it a good soaking, then try and break it loose. If it works, get it nice and hot to dry it out. Water is good at breaking down rust believe it or not!

Thanks skin 7245, I'll give it a try. Also worth mentioning----with tractor in gear, I can turn pressure plat (?) through the observation window. I would think it would be locked tight with the clutch stuck. I might have other problems?

Hmmm, sounds like the spigot bearing in the end of the crank may be seized. When you say you can turn the pressure plate, are you actually turning the engine over also?

I can turn the pressure plate with a screw driver with the transmission in gear without turning the engine. That is with the clutch pedal engaged and in gear. Hitting the starter with clutch pedal engaged and in gear caused the tractor to pull forward.

That is very weird?! The only thing I can think is the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel, or the flywheel to the crank have fallen out, but then you would have no drive at all.

Are you sure it is not the pto clutch you can turn by hand?

As you look through the inspection hole, I am turning the large drum to the left side with the clutch fingers to the small throwout bearing.

My bad! Engine is turning as I rotate pressure plate. I'm back to soaking clutch for a few days and then try one last time to break it loose. By the weekend I'll start the separation if all fails.

Silly me, one of the first things I should have asked, is how does the pedal feel? Is there any free play? It should be firm after the first 20mm of pedal movement. Any more, and it needs adjusting.

Shame on me for not mentioning the clutch free play at the beginning. Pedal is firm and slave cylinder is moving past the 1/2 inch minimum. I'm not a mechanic but I love working on problems like this since my retirement. I have checked the simple adjustments first. The internal workings of the trans. and clutch are, to me, a sharp learning curve. The manual for this unit has lots of print but few pictures. I confess I need more pictures to mentally tie things together.

Hi,

Have you tried to start it in gear, then crowd hard on the brake pedals. Use low range and it should start okay. Be ready to shut it off if no luck !
Make sure it hasn't broken a buttress cap on the release levers. It's sometimes difficult to see the break and the lever will still move a bit.

Mike

Thanks mike.I've tried starting in gear and in high gear hitting the brakes hard-----no luck. Help me identify the buttress cap. Is it part of the attachment at the base of the finger with two nuts?

The buttress caps are what the fingers pivot on, about in the middle of the fingers. If they break, the fingers don't pivot, and wont pull the pressure plate back. Seems unlikely they would break while sitting. Did you drive it before it was parked?

My brother moved it about 20 feet while cutting the grass for me after my surgery. He said the gears ground a bit getting it into reverse but immediately engaged. He said it may have been he had not engaged the clutch pedal properly. This shop manual I had gotten when I bought the tractor in '95 does not illustrate the clutch assemble properly and doesn't have the description "buttress cap" anywhere in it's context. This has been a source of confusion for me reviewing past comments and what to look for through the inspection hole. I'm not experienced with tractors but I have replaced clutches in small trucks so a good manual would be helpful. I'll have my neighbor work the clutch pedal while I check the motion. Thanks for the feedback. I'm truly not as dumb as I appear, your information is priceless and is putting me on a very sharp learning curve.

Hi,,

To identify the b cap, locate the clutch finger with the long bolt and 2 nuts. At the outer end is the 2 nuts, the next position towards the centre is where it pivots. This consists of a pin fixed to the clutch cover with a "top hat" shaped fitting over it and through the release lever. The brim breaks off the hat ! You can replace it through the side if needed.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Bad weather through Thursday. I'll be back on it then.

Inspected each clutch finger as neighbor worked clutch pedal. All fingers working in same manner and movement. I did not pick up any odd movement from any fingers. Weather is still a problem. I'll be moving tractor to neighbor"s work shop and begin preparation for separation unless other ideas are posted. I'm looking forward to this challenge but I would rather the clutch suddenly broke loose on it's own.

I drilled 1/2 inch hole 1 inch to the front of inspection plate. An "ole timer" recommending spraying Nutt Buster rust remover between pressure plate and clutch disk as I gently inserted a standard screwdriver between the two. After repeating the procedure around the entire clutch, I waited until the next day and started the tractor in high gear and in less than 10 feet it broke free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back