• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Very weak brakes on a 5711

sveinha

Level 2
First name
SveinHa
Hi all :cool:

I have today bought a 1978 Zetor 5711 unseen. The only thing that doesn't work is the rear brakes, they are very weak or not working at all. It will take a week or so before I receive the tractor (need to arrange about 700km transportation) and in the mean time I hope to get an idea of what work is needed to repair the brakes. The parking brake is very good so I assume this is separate from main brake with its own shoes?

According to the previous owner, spare parts is cheap but it involves a lot of work to repair.

Anyone who can give a short description of what most likely have to be done? Any special tools needed?

yes parking brake and foot brake are separate. parking (hand) brake is cable operated and 'pulls' steel bands around drum to stop.
foot brake hydraulic - consists of pedal - master cylinder - brake line - wheel cylinder - brake shoes.
to change wheel cylinders or brake shoes rear axle housing must be removed. very heavy! i have sent you a private message with a link to something you may find helpful.
good luck:)

Thanks grumpy :cool:

Anyone having a hunch what may be the problem? The most commen causes of weak brakes on Zetor ?

rusted slave cylinders, stuck shoe pivots, metal to metal contact (brake shoe lining worn clean off)

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find, probably some time during next week.

I'm going to do my brothers 6718 tomorrow...

Make sure you have a lifting device that reaches under the mudguards, to lift the end reduction housings off it.
I bought one of these, purposedly for brake jobs: https://www.powerplustools.nl/

This adress asks 299 euro, but i got exactly the same Chinese made workshop lift for 115 euro.. :)

Oh, doing the brakes today i thought i should give one more thing to watch for:

I have never seen a worn brake shoe on a Zetor ... they all stopped functioning because the cylinders were rusted or the pivot points seized.

I filed the side faces smooth, sandpapered the pins, and sandpapered the pin holes in the brake shoes untill the pins have a loose fit: they are held with strong springs (use a piece of wire to pull them on: when attached, cut the wire and pull it off) so the loose fit will never make them rattle.
Therefor, file and sandpaper till they fit very loose ! that prevents future seizing.

Then smear good amounts of copper compound, graphite grease or other heat resistant anti-seize lubricant on the pin and mating surfaces before assembly.

Hei,
I had the same problem, bought a unseen Tractor (6245) with weak brakes. The cylinder was the problem, it was leaking. With some help from the Forumpeople it was not so difficult. But the parts are heavy, I used a crane to lift it. I damaged the pipe when I tried to open the screw to the cylinder, so be careful with that, Good luck Sren

Thanks Sren.

It seems like a pretty straight forward job but handling of the portal requires some kind of a crane. Ordered the nessesary parts today. The previous owner have changed the master cylinder so I hope that one is Ok. There are a hole in the hose from the brake fluid tank so there might have come some water in the master cylinder, time will show...

A cheaper tool is the Chain pulley Block. Make a tripod using old hollow pipes with a bolt on top.

The Differential Shaft has to fit into the Sun Wheel else the Crown Oilseal will get damaged.

Also, after fitting the Wheel Cylinder, Brake Shoe and Springs and Pipe, remember to bleed the brake system for air pockets, else the brakes will not engage.

Keep a cloth under the Bleeding Nipple of the Wheel Cylinder to prevent Brake Oil from leaking onto the Brake Shoes.

A cheaper tool is the Chain pulley Block. Make a tripod using old hollow pipes with a bolt on top.
Its cheaper, but requires taking the mudguard or cab off... On an open tractor it will work, parking it under a shade tree with a pulley on a branch, but on cabbed tractors its a pain in the ass, to work under the cab...

I was originally planning to park under a roof and use some lifting device from the roof but I see that mudguards and other things need to be removed. This crane may be useful

Similar to the one Renze linked to. Lifing up to 2000 kg and cost NOK 2000 which is something like EURO 250

Think I will get started on the brakejob within a few days. All parts have arrived...

I made a plate which slots on to trolly jack head with 2 upright bars which fit snugly arround the half axle in the groves for bolting stabilizers to and this safely removes half axle on larger zetor model. Sure somthing similar could be made for smaller model.

Started the job yesterday evening. After slightly more than one hour, I needed the crane (bought the one I linked to) and started unpacking it. Lots of parts were missing, there have to be two boxes and I only got one... All bolts, wheels and some other parts were missing...

So far, it seems to be a fairly straight forward job but I managed to break off the brake pipe when disconnecting it :mad:

I have all parts for a brake job on the 5511, but i will order new brake pipes first, because breaking the brake pipe is what i do 3 out of 4 times...
You paid 250 euro, only the colour is blue instead of red like mine... it seems i DID get a steal deal on it ;)
I checked lately but the wholesaler i bought it, stopped selling this line of chinese tools, to i think i got a special clearance price:)

The crane took the better part of an hour to assemble and is very useful for the brake job.

Got it all apart yesterday. Lots of cleaning to be done today.

I think I have used about 2.5 hours so far. Were struggeling a bit with the bracket for the cabin until I found out that I had to remove the bolts on both sides of the cabin and lifting it about 5 cm.

I still think this is a fairly straight forward job but when handling heavy equipment, things take time...

One side ready for cleaning...

When lifting the cabin a few cm, the bracket on the other side was easy to remove. I'm considering to remove the inner side of the U-profile because that is the one that causes problems and I don't see what use there is for it. The cabin is quite a bit smaller than the U and therefore there are shims between the U and cabin.

5711 with cab, so its not a Zetor cab... What cab is it, Hara ?

i think its a original zetor cab renze. they were sold here in norway because of the cold climate we have with these cabs wich i believe is of zetors own production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back