• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

White smoke from Zetro 5911

rajiv_ahuja

Level 2
First name
Rajiv
Please help . I have a 5911 Tractor. When I start it for the first 15 minutes there is lots of white smoke coming out of the Exhaust Silencer. It then stops after 10-15 minutes and operation is normal.

Even during the White Smoke coming out, Power is ok. Also, the Oil Pressure is normal and there is no Overheating. Also load carrying capacity is normal.

Please advise what the problem could be.

Normally white smoke is, up to my knowledge, a sign of unburned diesel however it seems to last rather long. You can normally see the white smoke when cold starting the engine and all cylinders not firing instantly.
Is the level of cooling water steady? Dose the smoke smell anything?

Hazze

Dead white smoke is unburnt diesel vapour. But could be low compression . Dirty injectors. Pump fault or timing
when the engine is warm the diesel will burn more fully so the smoke is less.
Has it just started to smoke or do you have no history of tractor?

white smoke comes from water vapour and is caused by a cold engine, or coolant loss
blue smoke is unburnt oil
black smoke is unburnt fuel. Either because of too much fuel, the fuel being injected at the wrong crank angle, or because of poor compression .

How do you park the tractor, outside in the rain, with no raincap on the exhaust ??

Normally there is a little hole in the exhaust elbow to drain off rain water.

As long as its not using coolant I would ignore it. To coin a phrase" If its not broke, don't fix it"

white smoke comes from water vapour and is caused by a cold engine, or coolant loss
blue smoke is unburnt oil
black smoke is unburnt fuel. Either because of too much fuel, the fuel being injected at the wrong crank angle, or because of poor compression .

Renze; Sorry, but steam is steam, yes it is white but it is not white smoke.
Steam will not travel more than a few feet from the exhaust before disappearing without a trace....... smoke will drift across the paddock and soak into the neighbours clean washing ;)

White smoke is unburnt Fuel vapour, as apposed to black smoke that is half burnt fuel (ie over fueling or very late injector timing)

Problem could be a leaky injector that is dribbling fuel into the top of the piston in a puddle, this fuel will burn off once the engine is running making lots of white smoke as it vaporises, but you would notice other symptoms, rough running and hard to start.
is the white smoke less or worse under load, and is it "puff puff puff" (one cyl affected) or continuous (all cyls affected)

Probably get better with heavy use, or try some injector cleaner in a full tank of diesel, i don't think i would get too concerned unless the neighbours call the fire brigade every time you start it ;)

Yes indeed, white smoke is normal in cold conditions, fuel is atomised but not burnt. If the temperature rises the smoke will turn black.
White smoke will last longer if the engine has poor compression , or bad injection timing.

Gents, as you say, white smoke is unburnt diesel, but if it were my tractor, I would probably have a look at what is causing it. Unburned fuel will wash all the lubrication from the liner, causing scuffing and eventually ring breakage, then oil consuption and blow by. It may also be diluting the engine oil, damaging the bottom end if it is bad enough.
In saying that, a broken ring may be cauing this too start with! I have one of those infra red temperature guns that I use for things like checking bearing temps on balers etc, it is a very handy tool. If you can get your hands on one, check the exhaust temps at each head to determine which one may be not working properly.
Good luck!

Thanks all for your feedback. The problem got solved. It was actually due to a broken Fuel Injection Pump Drive Shaft which was causing the Timing to go out. After the machine warmed up, the smoke used to disappear, maybe because the other cylinders were firing.

Changed the FIP Drive Shaft and adjusted the timing.

Thanks all, once again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back