• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Zetor 7341 gearbox removal?

speneb

Level 2
First name
Ben
Hi, I am new to this forum, thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
I am helping my neighbor out with a gearbox problem on his 7341. After he lost all drive through the gearbox a few days ago, we pulled the top of the gearbox off and found that the 3 bolts holding the bearing housing for the input shaft were broken. Subsequently we have now split the tractor and found that it is the main input shaft (not pto input shaft ) that has broken.
So the questions I have are:
1- Dose the gearbox have to be removed from the differential/final drive housing to be stripped for repair or can it be stripped in-situ?
2- if it has to be removed is the gearbox output just splined onto the diff pinion? the owner seems to think that the pinion has to be removed first before the gearbox can come forward and away from the diff/final drive housing.
3- if the gearbox has to be removed, can it be removed with out taking the whole cab off? The front mounts of the cab are bolted to the gearbox case.
4- what is the normal procedure for removing the gearbox? I was thinking if we could rotate the back half the tractor on its wheels 90 degrees so the gearbox is sitting vertical and the cab laying back horizontal it may be easier to remove the gearbox due to the vertical lift for its removal.

We don't have a workshop manual for this tractor and I haven't been able to find a downloadable one online.

Again any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Ben

You can pull the input shaft from the front, through the clutch end. Heres a short guidance:

Dont know whether your tractor is equipped with an optional shuttle reverser, creeper, or splitter gearbox, but with the standard version with 540/1000 pto gears its pretty straightforward:

Once split between engine and clutch, drain gearbox oil, pull the PTO shaft from behind (undo the 4 bolts that retain the bearing, then put a PTO shaft coupler on it so you have something to put the crowbar behind)

You will get the short PTO shaft out and the slide bush will drop in the bottom of the diff cage. care about that later.
When you removed the cover in front of the gearbox which has the extension on which the throwout bearing is seated, you can pull the PTO input shaft.

Once that is gone you should be able to push the long PTO shaft inside the hollow gearbox layshaft, back so the PTO gears come loose.(or undo a retaining ring or castle nut, i cant remember if there is any)

With the PTO gears there is a sequence, i dont know exactly but one gear has to be taken out from the top hatch, the other from the bottom hatch, you will see that as you go. (too long ago for me)

Then once the PTO gears are out, you can pull the main transmission input shaft.

If you take out the cab floor (dont know about these newer cabs, if they have removable floors) and the lower transmission hatch you should be able to pull the job.

And when reassembling you might need to drop the hatch under the diff housing to guide the short PTO shaft at the back, back into the slide tube that engages the PTO and/or the ground speed PTO. Also, the 7341 has an engine mounted oil pump, not under the diff housing anymore, so there might be some different details to the older transmissions i have worked on.

Hi.
Have done this twise on 9 and 10 series traktors. the first step is to lift the front end of the cab so you get the mouting tube and cluth forkes out of the bellhouse. remove covers on topp and bottom of gearbox and remove pto shifterforks, take out the figure 8 cover from the bellhouse pull the pto shaft and you are set to take out the broken parts and putt everi thing togeter in reverse order.
Bjarne

Ah, indeed the cab support pipe needs to be pulled out before you can pull shafts. Anyways, does the 7341 cab still have the same supports ?

Thanks so much for the info. So from what you saying I should be able to do the job without pulling the gearbox case out.
We did pull the clutch forks and shaft out, removed the front cover.
But have only been able to remove the broken section of the input shaft so far. I will go and have another look at it and see if we can get the rest apart from the info you guys have given.
Thanks so much for your help , I'll come back and let you know how we go.

Best Regards

Ben

Please send photo of the shaft... it would be a first :)

Do you know how he managed to break the shaft? It sounds like it must be impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back