• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5245 glass sediment bowl

heath

Level 2
First name
Heath Wentworth
My brother in law was using the tractor this morning and it died on him. Upon further investigation, the glass bowl was cracked in half. I was wondering if anyone has found anything to hold the glass together(super glue etc.) untill I can get a new one. Are the two bolts the same on the fuel bowl assembly? I was wondering if I could bypass the bowl and use the existing hardware to screw the line in directly?
Heath

super glue will probably hold on the rough surface of the fracture. I dont know if the fuel will later dissolve it or not.

I have never tried shortcutting the sediment bowl so i dont know for sure.. but i think you can.

I don't think super glue will work. It will dissolve very quickly.

If you can get the bowl clean enough, rough up the surface around the crack and try epoxy. It might work until you can get a new bowl.

super glue will probably hold on the rough surface of the fracture. I dont know if the fuel will later dissolve it or not.

I have never tried shortcutting the sediment bowl so i dont know for sure.. but i think you can.

quite common to bypass the sediment bowl,most folk do it when the diesel waxes in the little gauze filter.

To be honest, I don't think the super glue will work either. Nonetheless, I glued it this evening after spending the day with the in laws for Christmas. I'm gonna put it back on just to see how long it will last. I'll end up bypassing it tomorrow I'm sure. I haven't had this tractor very long, and have never seen one before. My wife's uncle has a Belarus. I compared them today since they are from the same region, and it seems to me the Zetor is a better made/designed tractor. Once I get the 101 levers figured out (the operators pictures are of little help )I believe it'll be a good tractor for me.
Heath

There is no real comparison between a Belarus and a Zetor : Belarus elaborates on American tractor blueprints from the 50's and 60s, the shafts and gears are imperial, but they converted nuts and bolts to metric, their design quality (the materials used) is o.k. but the assembly by Russian grannies causes many manufacturing and assembly defects.
Zetor are a genuine development which is, or has been built under license in Ghana, India, Iraq, Birma and by John Deere in Saltillo, Mexico from 1993 to 1996. p.s. NEVER say what you just said, to a Czech, they hate russians and being compared to russians is a personal insult for them ;)

funny how although zetors and ursus are very similar the zetor is a far better machine.as for belarus their a poor 2nd to a zetor

i dont know much about ursus except long ago seeing a magazine article about one end of crystals and ursus 385's being built by ursus and the other end by zetor ... and train loads of half tractors being moved from poland to checkoslovakia and tother way about.

I went ahead and bypassed the fuel bowl, and it ran fine. It still need a new battery, and brake work, but I think as a whole it's a sound tractor. I didn't mean to offend by the Cezch/ Russian comparison. I feel stupid asking this, but where is the pto handle at? I've moved everything I can think of and I can't tell which one it is (manual 's pictures are no help ). I turned it on (somehow) but don't know which lever I used, so it's on all the time now. I won't need it untill summer to brush hog, but still need to know.
Heath

firstly the pto shaft may be turning due to friction/drag between parts even though its not actually in gear....

on my 6711 without a cab floor there are two big levers ontop of the transmission... the right hand one is the handbrake.... similar lever to the left is the pto hand clutch.... up to dissengage drive to pto. there are also two small levers ... about 4 inches long pivoted at rear.... rhs is the gearbox high and low.... left hand one is the pto and hydraulic pump lever , this has several positions.... all with neutrals between the engaged positions.... cant remember the order off hand ... but theres hydraulic pump only , hydraulic pump and pto at engine speed and finally hydraulic pump and pto via the gearbox which gives 5 speeds and reverse depending where the main gearbox lever is... (never used that one myself).....
there may be another small lever in the middle ... goes left to right in half a circle horizontally that is a high and low speed on the pto.... one way gives 540 pto revs and the other 1000 revs at rated engine speed.. 540 is standard for most equipment. my 6711 has it but my 4912 doesnt.

hope that helps you sort it out.

I think I can figure it out now. The two levers on the left(hand brake and pto) are stuck, I'll have to find out why they are seized.
Heath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back