• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

8011 Loud ratcheting noise from clutch. Drives, but no PTO,Steering,Hydraulics.

steviewdr

Level 2
First name
steviewdr
Our 8011 all of a sudden is making a very loud ratcheting/grinding noise from the clutch/intermediate housing.

Tractor drives. Clutch seems to engage/disengage ok.
No Steering. No Hydraulics. No PTO etc.

Something seems to have gone wrong between clutch and the steering+hydraulic+pto pumps.

Someone said fingers may have broke off the clutch and the whole lot dropped? But tractor drives ok with clutch engaging/disengaging.

Will try removing hydraulic pump to see into intermediate housing.

Any ideas? ???
Thanks,
-Steve

I havent been near the engine of an 8011 for 17 years (only did the brake cylinders on one 3 years ago) so i'm not sure about the power steering pump. But torque amplifier and pto are one the same pump, mounted in the clutch housing.

If you lost all hydraulics i think an intermediate gear that drives both torque/pto, and hydraulic pumps, busted a bearing

After getting the tractor home, there is no ratcheting noise anymore. However still no PTO, no Steering, no hydraulics, no T/A.

Removed the Hydraulic pump from the left.

It appears as if the splines are gone on the input PTO shaft where it connects to the clutch star plate.
Image 1:
1692620141589.png
Image 2:
1692620177558.png
I think the splines are completely gone as I can rotate that shaft (via the plate on the RH side of gearbox) freely.

This looks like the input shaft I need: http://www.johnconaty.com/80108014-p/5208.htm

Before I split the tractor between engine and clutch is there anything needed to be disconnected inside?
Or anything of importance I need to consider before splitting between clutch and engine on 8011.

Might have to also split between intermediary housing and gearbox, but can get to that after.
Thanks.

Nothing important to disconnect inside before splitting, it really is a very simple job, 2-3 hours by yourself

Cheers for the help . Got it split.

PTO input shaft splines stripped. Splines stripped on the 'Star' plate also.

Is it much of a job to disassemble the clutch to replace the "star" plate? The three clutch levers with the adjustable bolt are badly worn (see pic). Going by this level of wear, would the needle bearings (19) on the three clutch levers need to be replaced also?
1692620229338.png

Thanks,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back