• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

hill side farming

Australia brenten5

Level 2
First name
smash n machine
G'day from Australia again.

I purchased a 100 acre block of ground over 12 months ago now that I have been clearing the scrub off ready to farm.

So my question is I was mostly going to zero till farm most of the more hilly stuff and plough the flatter stuff or is there a better was to work ground on the side of a hill without putting in contour banks to avoid it washing away with heavy rain

My family in Canada used a Glencoe soil saver instead of a plough. It chisels lumps of clay to the top to break the flow of fine topsoil particles, but it does bury the trash somewhat.
Next to that, there are plenty of other methods to solve soil compaction without burying all residue that holds the plants together.

I would at least rip it. Breaks the soil by pushing it up, without disturbing topsoil too much...

All over America no till farmers start to get problems with hard compacted no-till soil that needs repair by a ripper.

Maybe I should invest in one of those narrow leg rippers to bust up the under soil

Dont know how much i drank last friday (national holiday) but i mixed up some words... i suppose you get it anyways ;)

The lumps of clay pulled to the top stop the fine soil particles from washing downhill, but it does keep some trash on top because it holds soil too. Nonetheless it does loosen compacted soil, which it really needs after some years. He soilsaved every 3 or 4 years, after grain he sowed soybeans no-till, then after a shallow cultivation he seeded corn, then again corn, then he soilsaved to mix some trash from the corn stubble and solve some compaction at the same time, if i recall right... it was 9 years i visited him.

if i was doing that i get a subsoiler first ripe along then a power harrow and sow grass seeds with an air tiller and roll lot less stones to pick

A good power harrow and an air seedier could be done all in one pass.

If he's up on a hill forget grass, wind turbine is what to do there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back