• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Water in tires

big_orn

Level 2
First name
Big Orn
What do ya'll think the pro's/cons are in putting water in the back tires?

I heard of this being done to add ballast (weight) to aid traction but have never done it myself.

I imagine it would be difficult enough to get the water in :)

[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

A friend of mine has an apparatus that puts the water in!:love: He said he would fill up both my back tires for nothing. I do have that heavy front end loader that makes the rear end jump a little when fully loaded. I just have never talked to anyone that has done this on a Zetor . As a matter of fact I have never owned a Zetor before nor a tractor that has a final drive like the Zetor has. I would really like that extra weight and traction if it didn't adversly affect the final drive.
And like I told Tony - It is good to chat with someone from Ireland, my ancesters moved to the USA from Ireland in 1797. I have always had this fascination for that beautiful land.

Big Orn,

Re Ireland, do you ever come to visit?

There are lots of Zetor 's in Ireland. 25 years ago practically all the silage in Ireland was cut using Zetor Crystal's. More competition today - mergers and acquisitons - Valtra is doing well where I live. Have wiped MF out and Zetor too.

Which part of Ireland did your ancestors come from?

[glow=green,3]Tom in Ireland[/]

"...that heavy front end loader that makes the rear end jump a little when fully loaded".

Assuming your "box blade" is a transport box that is mounted on the three point linkage - could you not load this up with sand/gravel to counter the weight of the front loader? That would be easier than filling the tires with water.

30 years ago, over here every front loader was sold with an empty steel box to put in the 3p hitch, which could be filled with concrete.

What is also done over here, i have seen 200 liter oil barrels filled with concrete. They simply stick a long pin through it before filling with concrete, so this pin (for 3ph hookup) is kind of "casted into" the block of concrete.

Tom - There has been much argument over where they came from but it is believed we came from Connacht or Connaught County perhaps around Galway or Loughrea. We were told that he had left a fugitve from the law. How bad it was or what he had done was never known. The only real tracks we could follow were back to Virginia in the USA where one record said, "...he is believed to have left western Ireland in 1797 after a brush with the law..." Other sources give vague descriptions of what town he my have come from, that he was hired to row a ship that had ran out of food halfway (gotten lost) and they had to eat rats!!:sneaky: Our surname (Eaves) however, was determined to have originated in Europe and the Isle of Man. It has gotten to be so confusing we have had to stop digging because of all the conflicting evidence.
And as far as the box blade goes - it does not hold soil, only moves it. But, I will try the cast concrete idea if nothing else works AND if it will not hurt the 3 point hookup.
Thanks Tom and Renze

we just hang on a transportbox filled with heavy material on
the 3 point hitch...
that always keeps him down verry well ;) !

Zetordude:

In the U.S, they dont use 3p lift transport boxes as we in wetern Europe. In Europe, every hobby farmer buys a tractor, with a transport box, a PC mower, an old hay tedder, and an Acrobat rake. In America, everyone buys a tractor, with a loader, a so-called "bush hog" (rough grass, bush cutter) and a scraper box. This scraper box is like, what in Dutch is called "kilverbak" but then in 3p lift mounting. They arent designed for carrying dirt, just dragging. Kinda like our transport boxes, but with reversed opening, and no bottom sheet.

take a look at this scraper box, at billstractor.com:

eqhbblade6.jpg

Sorry, but i think it's a matter of weeks before i have teared this thing apart... just look at the thin (cat.1) 3p hitch pins...

Renze - weeks - days or hours more like!. That looks REAL flimsy!

That's hobby stuff: The American term for hobbyists is Weekend Warriors..:p;)

Yes, my home made machinery can push off trees, something different than this...

Yea - as a matter of fact I hooked a stump (accidently) with my box blade and had it all warped out of shape before my 5211 even noticed it. Man, that 5211 is a hoss! Saturday I hired a guy with a dozer to come over and move a couple of piles of stumps for me (I haven't got a rake blade yet). As he was pushing the large stumps out I was loading them into my bucket (two at a time) and moving them to another location. He motioned me down and asked just what kind of tractor I had that could pick up and walk off with that much weight. He was impressed and I was swelled with pride.;)

I don't think it should be a problem adding water to your rear tires. It would give your tractor some cheap weights.:)I'd probably fill them 1/2 to 3/4 full. Wouldn't hurt to add some antifreeze while you are doing it. Normally winters aren't bad in Texas, but have seen rear tires with water freeze before.

That's true - winter before last and the one before that - remember the solid freeze-over we had in NE Texas. I will feel better about it when I get that manual and find out just how much the 5211 weighs. It is heavy - that's for sure - without water in the tires.

Yes: the basic rule is no more than 3/4 filled: More could cause trouble, because the tires dont have an air buffer to absorb shocks, which could give a hars ride, and extreme peak forces to your tires.

I agree, if i did that, i would add anti-freeze no matter what, frost damage could be expensive, two new rear tires are expensive....

A 5211 basic weight is 2800 kg... not extreme.

Our 5245 weighs 3080 kg... Enough to pull off oaks with a diameter of 35 cm....N:) :eek::p

If my math is right that's about 6200 pounds plus the 1100 pound loader WOW! No wonder I can move alot of dirt, roots, rocks and no wonder my Ford F-350 Super Duty grunts going up hil with it loaded on a 5100 pound trailer. That's 12,400 pounds of weight I'm pulling. OKAY - I will get water (3/4 full) in the tires now that I know the tractor has enough wherewithall to handle it. Thanks, guys!:D

I have moved about 100 m3 of dirt last year: in time of foor and mouth disease, we were not allowed to move hogs. We had to store them all, in the machine barn and the narrow stripe of land inbetween the barns. I dug out 60 cm of mud and shit, replaced it by 50 cm of clean earth dug up in the forest, all with a 2 meter wide, 1.25 m3 earth scoop.

I checked the final drive oil, clean as new. But, when you are working hard, letting the engine die down in low range reverse, use the diff lock or your satelite carrier shaft in the differential will wear a little hard.... I will check my diff when i have time....

Those rear ends are unbreakable in work... You have to use mean tricks to snap them, as long as you use them properly (no smashing into a big pile of sand in high gear), it doesn't matter how heavy the load. Just use the diff lock.

I'm glad you brought up the diff lok, Renze, I was wondering about that. I haven't used it faithfully, but will now. It looks like I will be going on travel to Alabama for a week or so starting tomorrow so I might be out of pocket (depends on if they have a computer in the motel).

....After having noticed the quite increase of rear axle play, i am thinking of changeing the floor pedal to a lever that is pulled over it's dead point: so i wont need to continously press it with my right foot that's getting sore after a day of mud-ploughing...

Humm- After you do that mod, think you could post some pics? Sounds like a good idea. Never thought of that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back