• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5211 Hard Starting

cuz

Level 2
First name
Cuz
Well my 5211 has been really good to me over the past year but the last 4 times I have tried to start it, I had to crank it over for a long time before it would start. It starts fine if I fire it up daily but if I let it sit for a few days it gives me problems. I have never had this problem before, even after letting it sit in the barn over the winter. However, once I get it stated, it runs great. Anyone have any suggestions on what may be causing this?

Thanks
Cuz
Northern Michigan

HI

It is air getting into the system and letting the fuel run back to the tank. Check all the rubber fuel hoses especially the ones to and from the tank and the small leak-off pipes. (Look for leaks and perished pipes).

Regards

Mike

I was hoping it was just the fuel filter, which I havent never changed since I purchased it last year. I dont see any fuel leaks so I would assume thats a good sign as far as air getting in one of the hoses.

I'll keep checking the lines and get a fuel filter on order too.

Thanks
Cuz

I would go with Mike. Look for perished or cracked rubber pipes, they don't often show any leaks since the fuel is being siphoned back to the tank.
Dave

Hello Mike,

I have had issues with my 7245 since I bought it new in 1989. It has always had issues if let sit for a while.
I belive it is in the pump letting the pressure bipass in some way or another but fuel line, non-return valve, filters and evrything else never seen to work.
In the end, I give the lift pump a couple of pumps from cold and it fires up first compression every time.
If you end up finding the cause, let us know.

Hi Paul

There is a non return valve (ball) in one of the banjos behind the pump. Try clamping the return to tank line and pressurise the system with the hand primer. It may show up a leak.

Regards

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back