• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

5211-purchased with land-Any Help in understanding this tractor

ken_abbott

Level 1
First name
Ken Abbott
Our sales agreement for some land we are purchasing requires us to take ownership of one 5211 tractor. We know nothing about this tractor, or tractors in general, city boys, what can you say. Can one of the forum members provide us some input. We are looking for a local mechanic/expert to show us, but don't know the area well enough yet to find one.
Thanks again.
1) Aproximate value of this tractor?. Excellant Shape, 440 hrs. run time.
2) This tractor has been sitting for a year. We need to start it to verify if works (as it's part of the land sale, it has a value, so we need to know it works, or at least starts). Can someone describe in basic detail the procedures for starting this tractor. Does it have a Glow Plug?
If we can get it started, at least we will have a general idea that it's value will be worth it or not.
Again, thanks alot in helping a rookie.
Ken

440 hours - if it uses oil, its because it isnt broke in yet...
If the tinwork looks good as well, it will be worth 6000 Euro in Europe. In america it may be a bit less, but on the other hand, tractors of this size are expensive in the USA as well.

about starting, expect rotten fuel hoses. the tractor has the age but not the hours. The factory mounted fuel hoses were total rubbish and i expect it to be hard starting if it has been sitting for a year. If you renew all fuel hoses you would virtually have an allmost brand new tractor.

Thank you for the fast response. I find your value that you determined interesting. We have been told as much as $12,000 US to as little as $5,000 US. We figured just about $6500 to $7000, just as you did. Seems the market in the US is very tight for these size tractors, everyone wants thier little 10 to 20 acre ranch, and these types of tractors fit that size well.
I see your title as an adminestrator?, do you have a section for FAQ 's that would help me?, since I am a rookie in this and more then likely will be asking more stupid questions.
I belong to several forums in different skills or hobbies and find that most of the experts get tired of repeating the same basic things over and over to the rookies, even though those experts in this forum forget they may come to me in another forum area that I am skilled in. It's a double edged sword. All in all a great forum, keep up the good work.

yes you're very right about the basic questions thing... I really need to write a clear FAQ for all those repeated questions...

The Euro is a bit higher than the US dollar now, so 12.000 dollar would be about 10.000 Euro.

If i had this tractor with 440 hrs, washed, no drought cracks in the tire, no stains on the paint, i would definately ask 10.000 for it, and sell it for 8.
Anyways how you describe the tractor, i assume that it suffered from doing nothing, and 7 grand US$ would be a reasonable offer.

You can search the Zetorworld forum using Google like this:
If "brakes" is the word you are looking for, paste this string into the adress bar:
http://www.google.com/search?l&q=+site%3Awww.zetorworld.com+brakes

This tractor resides in Texas. We had a good day, got the tractor started after throwing away the diesel that was more then a year old, got some new diesel, hooked up the jumper cables and baby, she came alive with such a sweet purr. Wow, what a nice tractor. We looked over everything that had been mentioned to be aware of and realized that the previous owner, who has since passed away, took great care of this tractor.
One question that has us stumped, as we pretty much determined what 90% of the levers, switches...etc. do, but one. The red pull up or push down button on the let side of the column/dashboard. This switch got very hot, to the touch, in one position but not the other. What does this switch do? and what position should it be in. We couldn't seem to effect the tractor operation by pushing or pulling it. Thanks for any info.

hmm our 5245 has a red push/pull button on the roof ceiling, which operates the rotating flashlight, just like the blue police light, only its orange to warn other traffic for wide load.

This push button is on the dashboard, just to the left. it pushes down or pulls up. When we actually close this deal, sign the contract, we will go out and get the proper manuals , operator and maintenance. Until then, we can't really invest anything into the tractor or ranch as the deal could allways fall through. Thanks for your help , I'm sure this tractor will provide years of good service and I'm sure we'll be back for more help.

I have a 5211 and all the manuals for it but knowwhere does it show a red push/pull button.. Are you sure its not something the previous owner may have installed? I paid $7000 for mine and it had over 2000 hours on it but it also has a Allied front loader installed. I would think $6000$7000 US sounds about right with no loader, age and hours.. By the way, I live in northern Michigan.

Well, thanks for the information, this switch may be after market, so will have to trace it out, see where it goes. Just for chuckles, what does an after market front end loader cost?. Can this tractor really handle a loader?. It's not an overly big tractor.

Ken,
The loader works great for light duty work but not for earth moving. Keep in mind this is a farm tractor not a landscape tractor. Your tractor, with less than 500hours is just getting broken in. In my opinion, A Zetor is a very under rated tractor. They are very reliable and you would have to spend twice as much to repalce it with a more well know name such as a JD, Kabota, MF, etc... You can easily get parts for it too. I believe the loader runs around $2500 but I'm not sure (call Allied), mine came with it already installed..

Here a picture
tractor.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/hoosier12345/tractor.jpg

I built my own loader for the 5245 and it will handle serious digging. I bought a cracked old loader cheap, reinforced it, added parallel linkage, and built a super duty tractor subframe.

When using it 2wd you need a big box (2 oil barrels of concrete or 1.5 sq yard of sand) of ballast (and that serious subframe with heavy axle pushbars) and it will serve great. the front axle will hold up longer than you'd imagine, and 1500 kg of rear ballast (not tire ballast but 3pt mounted BEHIND the rear axle) will take approx. 750 kg load off the front axle. If you're already using 1500 k of rear ballast, the power steering will tell you when it's enough.

The picture I posted shows it with a spear but I have since put a bucket on it.. My tractor looks much nicer now, the picture was the add from where I bought it from and it needed alot of TLC to get it looking great again. My hydraulics cant lift a full bucket of soil, hence the reason I said it wouldnt be a great landscape tractor (that and the AG tires ;) Other than that, it works great.

Cuz

how good of condition is your oil pump ?

Wow Renz, is that question for me?. I couldn't answer that one right now as I don't know the condition of the oil pump. I figure an oil pump to be a VERY critical part and would like to know if this is a weak leak in this tractor and needs to be monitored. On the other front, purchasing land in the US is a crazy trip on the wild side. Everyone has thier hands in your pocket, the inspectors, the appraisers, the lenders, the insurance companies, the termite inspectors, the well inspectors, the septic inspectors, so on and so on. We are close to securing this property, but at any time, you can't feel comfortable as one little thing could derail the whole thing.
Right after we close this thing, if it happens, I am going to get one of the local techicians out to help us go through the tractor and service it, along with giving us some learning tips. One of the first things to do is to get some manuals , a very difficult and expensive endevour for this brand of tractor. They must really copy protect thier manuals , or they would be all over the internet in PDF. Thanks for help, I will be back with more questions, I am sure of that.

Ken,
Actually the question about the oil pump was directed towards me. Sorry, I kinda side tracked the topic with a question I had relating to my loader.

If you need a manual call Brent at 1-800-360-0616
I bought both the owners manual and the parts manual (has every nut and bolt, including part #'s on the entire tractor). Brent can get you any part you need..

Yes that was aimed at Cuz because he said his loader cant lift a bucket of soil. Oil pumps arent expensive if you buy grey market.

Hey Ken, and welcome. Since you're buying land in TEXAS, I'm guessing it's not one of the mini-ranches ou mentioned. When the deal goes through, post a few pics of the place, and tell us about it.
These little tractors (or the bigger ones) are a LOT stronger/sturdier than they look. I have a 4340, not really big, but have already ruined TSC's heaviest bush-hog and box scraper. Also, they're pretty well owner-friendly when it comes to maintaining or repairing them. If you can change the oil and bleed the brake lines on your truck, then you can fix most anything that may go wrong on the tractor. Do go ahead and pull a fuse from under the steering column, and get some replacements. The European ceramic fuses are hard to find locally, and the little Euro fuses that auto supply places sell may fit, but don't last as long.

Thanks for the info Cook. I just started a new thread about the PTO and Hydralic system and hope to see if I can get some direction on that.
Yes to your questions if we can work on this. We are talented in automotive as we ran roundy round racing for 5 years and could change an engine in 30 minutes, but as all things go, we need a little direction to get us going in the right direction.
Electrically, we will take a strong look at the fuses and such. I just picked up a copy of the operating manual , but the pictures where terrible. If the maintenance manual pictures are just as bad as the operating manual, we're gonna have some fun.
Yup, everyone's buying thier little 15 acre mini ranches to get out of the city for the weekend. Seems our society may be heading back to the farms as the city will drive a person crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back