• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question 5211 sputters and dies after running under load for 90 minutes

firerescuecapt

Level 2
First name
Craig

Machinery:
Zetor 5211
Greetings,

Let me start off by saying that I am not a diesel mechanic, and I probably have not kept up with the maintenance on this tractor as it was supposed to be done. We acquired the tactor as part of our house/farm purchase about 7 years ago, and only use it periodically to mow the driveway and pasture.

This is a 1986 Zetor 5211. Today I took it out and mowed using a bushhog for about 90 minutes when it started to sputter and then it shut down. I let it sit for a minute, then it restarted and ran under load for about another 3-4 minutes before starting to sputter again. I disengaged the bush hog and the RPMs came back up. I re-engaged the bush hog and about 2 minutes later it sputtered and died again. I was able to restart it then and get it back into the barn.

A few years ago, I had a similar issue which was resolved by adding an electric fuel pump. I had also changed the fuel filters back then. We have recently replaced the electric fuel pump, and things were working fine until about a month ago when we had a problem with algae growing in our fuel tank. After that happened, I drained the fuel, cleaned the fuel tank, and filled it back up with new fuel. The fuel that is currently in the tractor is only a few weeks old.

I checked the fuel cap vent, and it is clear and working fine.

I have had friends ask if there was debris still in the line, if there is an air leak in the fuel line, or if there is water in the line. My question to those is why it would run perfectly for 90 minutes and then start to have problems? Wouldn't there be problems within the first minute or two if that was happening?

Any suggestions on what to check or if you have heard of this specific issue before would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back