• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

7211 slave brake cylinder

matt_row

Level 2
First name
matt row
Hi. I am loosing nearly the full amount of fluid from the brake clutch reservoir after each use. But I can't find any leaks. I have a bad crack in the reservoir cap but it's not leaking there. Having read the other forums I am suspecting the brake slave cylinders. If so does this mean that all the fluid I have been pouring into the reservoir has been being pumped into the rear wheel housing???? Might explain why my hydraulics are getting weaker if I am filling it up with brake fluid.!!! Any ideas and if the answers are yes sounds like brake slave cylinders is that a huge job on the 7211 with a cabin.? Thanks for your time.

The rear wheel house where the dry drumbreak is fitted has no contact with the transmission/hydraulic fluid. Have you checked the two main cylinders and the pressure equalization just behind the two cylinders. Do you have any leakage under the the tractor where the slave cylinders is.
Hazze

Now I'm really confused. I was told that they were wet brakes not dry drum brakes. I have followed the brake line and it goes from the two master cylinders in behind the fire wall down underneath the tractor to something else where it then splits off and goes to a point each side (left and right) of the diff housing. I thought the slave cylinders was inside that diff housing (left and right) and someone told me that's where your leak will be. It will be a bad slave cylinder inside the diff housing and that's why you can't find any outside leaks of fluid because the leaking fluid is going straight into the diff housing. (Mixing with the oil in there.) Can anyone straighten me out on that one. It's a 7211 model with cabin.

You are right that the slave cylinders are placed in the diff house or more right the rear shaft housing. From the diff goes a shaft to the final gear portal at the rear wheel. On this shaft you will find the dry drum breake. Where the shaft goes out from the diff there is a oilseal preventing the oil flowing from the diff to the rear shaft housing where the breakes are. In this area you will find your breakfluid. If you take off the rear wheel and the final gear portal you will find the drumbreake.
If I remember right wet breakes came around year 2000.

Now that makes more sense. Thanks for the reply. I've got a day off next week so will get into it and take off the back wheel and have a look and see what going on. Thanks for the explanation.
While i've got you. Any tips on changing the slave cylinders. There always seems to be some trick. Thanks again. Matt

use an engine hoist to lift the portals, or a forklift to get under the mudguards (overhead crane wont work)

not wishing to hijack this post, but just about to attack my 6711 with the same problem.
Do I need to drain the oil from the final gear portal before removing it or is it effectively a sealed unit?
cheers

Grumpy: gear portal is separately sealed. But the rear end itself may spill on you, depending on oil level...

Now I'm really confused. I was told that they were wet brakes not dry drum brakes.
Only the super series had wet brakes.

The 7745 came standard with dry disks like the 8011 which has slave cylinders on the back of the rear axle housing.

all others came standard with drum brakes, the brake line goes into the axle on top, on both sides.

You do not need to drain the gearbox/diff. It is sealed. If I it was me I would also changed the seal as there is a potential breake-problem when it start leak (very common problem). You even dont need to drain when you replace the seal (SIMring). I have done this on a 4718 but the design is similar. Furthermore look at the break-shoe return-springs, they might be broken.
Hazze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back