• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Electric fuel pump question

olredhead

Level 2
First name
olredhead
Gentlemen I have a question about installing an electric fuel pump on a 6340. Have had several problems with the engine starving so after changing both filters and not solving the problem decided to install an electric pump and being my usual lazy self I did not read all that is written in the manuel about requirements for fuel pressure. The pump I installed is a solid state pump with outlet pressure of 4-7 lbs of pressure. The book says a minimal pressure of 10#s is required. The tractor will run for about 20 min before it starves out and with just a couple of minutes just setting with the pump running will start back up. Guess my question is do I just bite the bullet and buy a higher pressure pump or does anyone have any suggestion for a cure ? Thank olredhead

I used an old fuel pump off of my 01 dodge truck. It does a fine job. Around 10 psi.

Thanks for the reply, one more quick question, where in the line did you put the pump ?

I wired it directly to keyed fuse block (only turns on when key is inserted) cut the suction hose from fuel tank on left side of tractor, hung the pump on water bag bracket, bypassed the mechanical fuel pump, then ran directly to the fuel filters.

O.K. the dim little light in my head is getting brighter. I didn't bypass the mechanical pump. That could be giving me a restriction that my low pressure pump can't overcome. Thanks for the input.

dgo3512,

was it difficult to re-route gas line and by-passing lift pump.

thanks,
rob.

It was not hard at all. When I replaced the original lines, I put a lift pump before the fuel filters and wired directly to key switch.

? I installed electric fuel pump. But I did not bypass mech pump.
It seems that when I try to start the fuel does not go any further than that, because it leaks. Could the mech. pump be stuck closed therefore no fuel going to filters and so on. If this is the case then I should bypass pump?

Also, is the electric pump supposed to run constantly or untill tractor starts.

thank,
Rob

The electric pump must run all the time when the key is ON
May be you have dirt or rust in suction pipe in tank You can check this IN disconnect the outlet hose from the electric pump and put a small bootle or can and put the switch ON
The fuel flow must be constant . May be a bad hose inside cloged. On mine 7245 I had replaced all the fuel hose including hose for return a the top injectors . Now Il start well hot or cold
Sorry for my english.
Langis

zetorcan7245,

Thanks for your reply. I fixed the small leak I was having at mechanical pump. The tractor starts but it does not stay started.
I will check to see if there is constant flow of fuel.
I will change wire on electric pump to stay on constantly when key is in. Again thanks for your reply.

rob6245

By-passed lift pump, tractor started fine. Will keep you posted after running tractor for a while.

thanks,
Rob
NM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back