• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Magnetic hydraulic filter

P

Paddy

For the first time in 6 years my 7745 let me down last Friday. I was moving heavy silage bales (chopped and a bit wet) when my lift decided to go on a go slow. Basically it got very very slow to lift the bale up to transport height. Even then it required me to keep the engine revs up very high to keep the lift from dropping down again while transporting the bale. Not very helpfull when you have over 220 bales to shift.

Anyway I checked the oil level which was ok and I changed the paper filter mounted in a bowl at the side of the tractor. That made no difference so I called a mechanic friend who directed me to the magnetic filter underneath the tractor. I never knew this existed.
Anyway I removed and cleaned this (absolutely clogged with metal fibers and gunk). Result perfect lift again.
Dose anyone know how often this filter should be cleaned and should I be concerned at the little metal fibres stuck to the magnet. Dose the presence of these indicate undue wear going on in my system.

Every 600 hours according to the handbook I have.Everything sounds OK,there will always be bits of metal on the filter.It's when you have great lumps of gear tooth you have to worry! My Crystal used to get some interesting things in its strainer that I think were left inside when the pto pack broke when the previous owners had it.

The 7745 is a standard series tractor as opposed to Super series tractor thus the workshop manual suggest the following interval.

Transmission & Hydraulic fine filter:

Standard Series - every 200 hours the filter should be changed and the hydraulic pump suction screen washed.

Super Series - every 600 hours the filter should be changed and
I would conclude the suction screen washed.

Mike

Paddy
Where is the magnetic filter located underneath the tractor? I must check our 7245 out as lift is bit slow when lifting heavy bales also
Regards
Robert Bradley

Robert,

The magnetic filter is located directly at the lift pump. Underneath the tractor partially hidden by the pick up hitch if you have one. I had to drop the hitch down half way as you would when picking up a trailer. Then I had to withdraw the pin on which the whole hitch unit pivots as it is raised and lowered hydraulicaly. With the hitch plate dropped on the ground you can see (in my case) a 24mm hex nut in the centre of a large steel disc of about 75mm. Simply undo the nut which is weleded to the 75mm disc.
Out pops the magnet surrounded by a mesh filter and hopefully a big blob of gunk which when cleaned will give your lift a new lease of life.

Mind you my mechanic friend told me that in many models the oil has to be drained in order to be able to remove the filter. Thankfully this is not the case in my 7745.

I cant be sure this particular filter will be in your 7245. I know its not in all the 7045's for example. I looked at a 7045 in my friends yard and it did not have this unit.

Have a look and let me know how you get on. I have just ordered a digital camera and could e-mail a picture to help you if necessary.

On earlier tractors it is under the seat on the top cover of the hydraulics.The Strainer is made of cast alloy so don't break it-you can do a lot of damage with a 24mm spanner or a 3/4 drive socket;)

Thanks for the advise lads
Renze
Would you know where the magnetic filter is on 7245 as you have 5245 and would probably be similar and also if oil has to be removed before draining ?
Regards
Robert

Robert,

On the 5245 it is under the rear axle.
Yes, make sure you have a big bucket under it when you take it out, as the oil will run out when you take the filter out.

Maybe it is better to drain the oil via the big hole of the filter, instead of via the small drain plug, so that all the metaldust that is collected by the magnet, will rush out with the flow ?

Hi,
I have just joined this forum from Australia.
I have a 6045 with the same hydraulic lift problems as described by various members.
I have been told that the only filter in this model is on the pump itself, which can only be accessed by removing a plate under the gearbox which surrounds the drain plug.
I have owned this tractor for ten years, so it is at least 20 years old, and I have only ever changed the hydraulic/gearbox oil once (it is not used much). I use the tractor with a front end loader which needs a lot of hydraulic power, but most recently the problems happened when lifting and winding in the large nets we use or vineyard bird protection, which requires 3pl lifting plus hyd flow to the motor on the net "spinner".
Can anyone confirm the location of the filter, proceedure etc for this tractor, before I empty the gearbox?

..Just make sure you have a bin underneath, open it and see what happens... ;)

Hey, why doesn't the oil come out on the 7745 ?? I cannot think why..

ZJ, did you enjoy your Vodka ?? ;) Yes, that's a logical explanation.

Sorry guys,

There was plenty oil in the transmission. In fact slighty over the max line on the dipstick.

It seems to me that the magnetic filter plugs directly into the hydraulic pump which in itself is not a reservoir. This pump needs to turning to suck oil from the reservoir. If its not turning then you only get just a little leakage when you remove the filter.

I was stone cold sober when I did the filter clean :sneaky:

The magnetic filter is in a housing with a metal shut off plate which stops the oil from draining out while you clean the filter as the filter is screwed back in it lifts the plate allowing the oil to flow again! Thoughtfull design for ease of servicing by Zetor once again.

Alzet, that was an answer is was looking for..

What about our 5245 ?? we only take the filter out at times of oil change, so the oil will be out of it anyways, so i dont know...

In the 6245 I had before there also was a shut off plate wich stop the oil, but there comes a little bit of oil, so be hurry when you screw it back, it can be a little hard to push up.

Regards Tage W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back