• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

Replacing brake slave cyclinder 7211

matt_row

Level 2
First name
matt row
Hi am trying to replace the brake slave cylinders on my 7211 with cabin. I do not have a manual . I have followed the brake lines and can see where they enter the rear diff section and can see the bleed valve. Yesterday I managed to get the rear wheel off and raise the cabin several inches and can now clearly see whats what. BUT it looks like I now need to take off the large gear casing (Wheel hub) with about 10 or 12 bolts around it (I think its called the portal with fill plug and drain plug). If I can get that off I assume I will be able to to see the shoes and slave cylinder. Just before I do that though I want to make sure that this is correct because this seems a huge job just to replace a slave cylinder. Can anyone tell me is removing the portal my next step? Any tips on getting it off as it looks heavy? What should I expect when I take it off? Should I drain the oil out of it first? Any other thing I should do or look for while it's off.? Thanks Matt

yes you need to take the portal off from underneath the cab. an overhead crane doesnt work under the mudguards, so you need either a forklift or an engine hoist. I bought a chinese one for 115 euro for this. take the brake line out of the way and get those M14 bolts off against the diff housing, slacken the hand brake first: you can access it when removing the vent grids on top of the rear axle housing.

on my 6711 with duncan cab the order was

disconnect wing electrics
disconnect brake pipe
remove wheel
remove mudguard
undo portal bolts
support portal (strap from FEL works) warning = very heavy!!
pull portal outwards to release, struggling like hell, then remember to slacken handbrake metal band slap self on forehead and then ease off portal gently :mad:
lower to the ground and then change shoes and cylinder
:)

Like grumpy says
Its a dead easy job BUT-- It's a bl---y heavy lump.
Loved the bit about loosening the hand brake band--- been there!

Thanks guys. I am getting there. Have the portal on the ground and have removed the shoes and slave cylinder. Am oderding a new slave today but to be honest I can't see a leak here and on another post I was told that this is where all my missing brake fluid would be and it was dry. I had a 50 50 chance whether the leak was left or right and it looks like I loose. I started with the left because it looked easier but I now suspect the right hand side might be the culprit. Anyway at least I will know what I am doing for the right hand side. (I hope)

Hey Guys,
I just had to replace the brake line from master to slave cylinder (left hand side). When I bleed the system, i thought that it might be sufficient to just do that side...apparently not.
Can anybody tell me the correct sequence (left of right first). It would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back