• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Zetor 6441 Brakes becomes poor

harry1

Level 2
First name
Harry
Hi,
The brakes on our 6441 have become poor and the pedals have to be pumped to get a brake.
Is this master cylinder failure ?
The fluid level has dropped slightly in the tank even though there is no visible sign of a leak.
The fluid appears to be a cloudy colour and I was wondering should this be replaced.
It's a 2008 model and the brake system has been untouched to date.

Thanks.

Hi,
The brakes on our 6441 have become poor and the pedals have to be pumped to get a brake.
The fluid level has dropped slightly in the tank even though there is no visible sign of a leak.
The fluid appears to be a cloudy colour and I was wondering should this be replaced.

Thanks.

If your having to pump the b pedal to build up the brakes it sounds like a leak problem, but if the brakes themselves are bad it's probably the discs. You could change the fluid and see if there is any change.

Thanks for the very quick reply.

The pedal when pumped once gives a good brake.
What is the procedure for draining fluid and then bleeding brakes ?
Is the bleed screw on the slave cylinders easily accessible ?
I have in the past had to bleed brakes on our 7211 and was wondering is it similar with a 6441.

Thanks again.

The pedal when pumped once gives a good brake.
What is the procedure for draining fluid and then bleeding brakes ?
Is the bleed screw on the slave cylinders easily accessible ?
I have in the past had to bleed brakes on our 7211 and was wondering is it similar with a 6441.

There is a bleed screw on the under the cab on the half axle where you bleed the system. the manual recommends to change fluid every 2 years.

But if you have to pump the brakes at all it sounds like there could be a leak, so you need to check there`s no air in the system.

Hi,

Sounds like they need adjusting.

Mike

If your pedal is going down might need adjusting but if your pumping it to get a pedal you need to check the fluid.

Hi,

Thanks.

I had an 08 forterra brakes never touched either only problem the brakes had was sometimes they would stick when the handbrake was released.

Thanks for all replies,

The pedals when pumped give a good brake.
The fluid level in tank is about 50%.
What's involved in adjusting brakes on this model?

It has been a very reliable tractor and never required much repairs.

Thanks again

What's involved in adjusting brakes on this model?
Thanks again

I never worked on this type tractor. but it`s probably much the same, is there a plastic cover on each side of the back end if opened them there be an adjustment nut there that takes a 19mm spanner.

Hi

It's not easy !! Under the back of the cab on each side there are 2 pieces of flat metal on the brake linkage. Between these you'll find the adjusters. You're looking for a 17mm lock nut and a 8mm on the end of the adjusting rod.
Adjustment is with wheel jacked up (ignition on so wheel will turn) slacken locknut and tighten adjusting rod until wheel locks, then undo adjuster 1 full turn and tighten lock nut.
Handbrake nut is at the front of the linkage and should be done afterwards and should just touch the linkage.

Mike

Be sure to check the seals on all cylinders too that no air is in the system

At long last I got the spanners out and
I replaced the fluid and after bleeding the brakes, I now have a brake as good as when tractor was new.
Hopefully this will continue for longer before brake adjustment is required.

Thanks guys for your continued expert advice.

Hi,

Nice to know you're going. It's also nice to get some appreciation for our help . So many people do not say thanks when we spend our time helping them out with info.

Mike

i appreciate mr DIY only for him my 12145 would still be undriveable

Just recently the left rear brake on our 6441 began locking up. The brake pedal feels tight, but if I pump it I'll eventually feel the left brake "pop" loose and roll freely. But then freezes up or gets tight again after a while. Thoughts?

Sounds your brakes are out of adjustment and it's either air or worn disc that are out of place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back