• Hello.
    In order to download file attachments or view image attachments in full size, you must be registered/logged in and have a level 2 member account.
    No worry, its all for free!
    For more details - click here.

question Zetor Major 80 experiences?

dusansmetana

Level 2
First name
Dusan
Hi guys,

Any experience with the Zetor Major 80? Looking to buy a cab tractor for my small farm,haying, loader work. https://www.brunospowersports.com

It has a dry mechanical clutch that I know is not an ideal combination with a loader. When I was 17 and lived in old Czechoslovakia I was running a Zetor for logging with a mechanical clutch so I got plenty of experience here...

I will be doing some logging of downed cottonwoods, a little snowplowing (it's Montana) and perhaps haying of about 15 acres. I'll be looking for used discs, snowplow, and a flail mower to start with. Anything I need to know about this particular model? Any experience is much appreciated. Thank you. Dusan

A dry clutch is not a problem using a loader, if you treat it well. The only clutch that was troublesome, was on the 9 series (4911-6945) because it was the first time Zetor tried a Belleville clutch spring, instead of 12 coil springs. That, and the awkward geometry of the clutch pedal which made it sensitive to operators that "ride" the clutch.

If you use the clutch as a clutch (engage and disengage drive in a controlled manner) in the correct gear, and not as a torque converter by letting it slip in a too high gear, it will be fine.

Also, the Major has a 50 liter oil pump as standard, where the old Zetors had a 20 liter pump, only late 80s a 32 liter pump became available. So there is less temptation to curl the bucket with full engine rpm (to get some oil flow) whilst excerting pressure on the bucket by letting the clutch slip.

P.s. i assume you live in the States now: Does Zetor NA have the Major HS available already? It has a hydraulic shuttle.

These new Majors, they are a good tractor for what you state you want it for: Loader work, haying, feeding. But pulling 10 ton tankers and tippers (with 2 to 3 ton drawbar load) we used to hire from the agricultural contractor, the 5245 could take it but when you want a tractor you pull anything with when the drawbar pin fits through the hole, i'd take a Proxima. Horses for courses. ;)

The Majors have better front axles for loader duty than the 5245 front axle though.

Hi Renze,

Thank you very much for your info. Yes, I live in Montana US and the Major 80 HS are not available yet.
Major 80 HS will have the Tier4 emission and the Deutz 2.9L engine instead the Zetor 4.2L as the 2016 version still has Tier3.
Not sure about the price different. Any experience with the new Zetor HS 80? Thank you....dusan

Hi Renze,

The new Zetor Major 80 HS are available in US and dealer quote me around $ 62,000 with the loader. That seems out of my budget for a haying tractor so I am back to Major 80 with the 1105 Zetor engine. Dealer is telling me that its pre emission Tier III without the EGR valve. Did some checking on tractor data.com and it doesnt show the egr and brochure from Zetor NA doesnt show it either. http://www.zetorna.com/file/145605/MAJOR.pdf
Confused....Ill check directly with Zetor NA to see. If its has a EGR and I assume it has, is it ok to have or would I want to block it? Thank you so much....

Hi Renze,

The new Zetor Major 80 HS are available in US and dealer quote me around $ 62,000 with the loader. That seems out of my budget for a haying tractor so I am back to Major 80 with the 1105 Zetor engine. Dealer is telling me that its pre emission Tier III without the EGR valve. Did some checking on tractor data.com and it doesnt show the egr and brochure from Zetor NA doesnt show it either. http://www.zetorna.com/file/145605/MAJOR.pdf
Confused....Ill check directly with Zetor NA to see. If its has a EGR and I assume it has, is it ok to have or would I want to block it? Thank you so much....

I`m not sure dollars / euro conversion, but 62 thousand euro would buy a 130 CL Forterra in Ireland.

the new Zetor Major 80 HS are available in US and dealer quote me around $ 62,000 with the loader. That seems out of my budget for a haying tractor so I am back to Major 80 with the 1105 Zetor engine. Dealer is telling me that its pre emission Tier III without the EGR valve.

I`m not sure what you call a haying tractor, But I would think it would be the similar to what I do in our part of the world, its doing silage so we have just bought a new HSX 140 Forterra which has EGR and DPF everyone kept saying they`ll cause trouble but so far I so good but I`ll see how she goes.

Haying tractor would be for making hay, swathing,raking and bailing dry hay..Thanks..;)

Oh we make hay in Ireland too, but would not use call them haying tractor. We cut with 10 mower, ted with 6 rotor and rake with 24 foot rake and bale into round and square bales so I think my new HSX 140 will be up for that job.

Haying tractor: used to ted and rake. I use my 3011 for that. The 1600kg 3011 was too light to keep the 2 meter Krone on track, the mower kept pulling it to the right. A Major is 3 ton, plenty of weight for a 2 meter mower conditioner. For 2.40 with conditioner a Proxima would be better.

Baling small square, a major handles that just fine.

What I meant to say was, We would not have only one tractor being used for hay making pacifically called a haying tractor, traditionally people use the smallest tractor on the farm for hay turning, but nowadays with the scale on the tedders a mf35 e.g. would be beached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back